Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I own a Seagate 2 TB "Backup Plus" drive that is powered separately. My Mac Air Book can see it but my new HP Spectre360 cannot see it. I have reviewed some of the similar issues and responses to a "Seagate" issue but they do not help.  How can I get the Spectre to see the drive or what other information is needed to diagnose and resolve?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok, I did some reading on the site you offered earlier. I decided to format the drive for ExFAT after moving all files off it. Did this on the Mac because I could not see it on PC to do a format. Anyway, I followed instructions from the site and it worked. I was able to format to desired file system, copied back the files and then connected to the PC and it is all good now.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

This is an external usb drive, right? 

HP Recommended

I got in touch with HP support chat. The drive in question is not FAT32 formatted so Windows cannot see it. I am going to move all data off the drive using a MAC that can see it and then reformat the drive and restore the data,

HP Recommended

That is a bit roundabout. You can install an app in Windows that will read and copy files created in the Mac OS on a Mac OS extended partition. 

HP Recommended

What App?

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

OK maybe a bit more information here.

This drive was used years ago on Windows based PC's. Then we stopped using it but now want to use it again.  I Just bought a new HP Spectre360 and I noticed that I could not see the drive no matter what I did. My wife tried it on her Air Book and could see it fine and started using it. I still could not see it so I contacted you and HP support at the same time.  

After a reboot, we could see the hardware in Device manager but could not see any files in Explorer so HP took the position that it has been formatted to Apple system and made the suggestions.

I have not done anything to the HDD in terms of formatting or anything else because it has not been used. Only when I tried it on the HP unit did I notice the issue.

The APP you suggest seems to indicate when connected to a Windows unit it will tell you you need to format. I got no messages at all.

Yes we would like to use it on both machines and HP indicated that if we format to FAT32, both systems will see it.

I want to make sure the issue is correctly diagnosed before I take actions. HP remoted into my unit and came to that conclusion so with your suggestion, I am now tossed as to which way to go....

HP Recommended

This is a bit of an advanced technical issue. Have you tried looking for the drive in disk management? Right click on this PC in Windows Explorer, then select manage....then select disk management and it should bring up a GUI showing all the storage on the machine and how it is partitioned and formatted. Command line diskpart will do the same thing. The MAC OS has similar tools called disk utility so you can even ascertain how the drive is partitioned and formatted from the Mac computer. The Mac OS will allow reading from but not writing to an NTFS partition so if you can write to the drive from the Mac we know it is not NTFS which is the other most common Windows PC formatting out there. The advice to format to FAT32 is a bit less than optimal for a 2 TB drive as FAT32 partitions have limited capacity. You could only use a small part of the 2 TB drive if its formatted as FAT32 without setting up numerous partitions. Let's first identify the animal we are dealing with and then we can come up with a plan. You could always network the Mac and the PC together and both have access to an external drive plugged into the Mac, for example. Lots of ways for a grizzled old tech to attack this problem so don't format your data off there yet.    

HP Recommended

Churchmouse68_0-1581977759018.png

This is what I see on my PC using Device Management. I believe the bottom one is the one in question. I had originally put two partitions on it for I think the reason you stated. Yes She has successfully written to the drive it has several backup files on it from her unit as well as many files we are putting on it.

In a perfect world, I would like to hang this off my home network so we can both use it without constant relocation. That is another issue to be resolved. I am using an Xfinity router at home but I cannot see into other units on line - This will be next issue. Right now I hope I have answered your questions.

HP Recommended

Its much too small I can't read it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.