Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp probook 450 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello friends. 

I had HP Probook 450 G4. I installed  ADATA SU800 128GB ssd using a caddy. 

SSD works like a charm(i guess it is compatible then). 

The issue is it causes high cpu usage about 40%-50%  all the time. when i remove it from laptop cpu usage comes to normal less than 5%. All the driver are updated. 

Please tell me how to fix it, because it is very annoying issue. 

In the windows task manager "system" task is using the cpu which is "ntoskrnl.exe" at backend.

Please tell what can i do. Do i had to install some driver or what. 

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I'll just add...

If its a DVD drive caddy for a hard drive, does the caddy have a switch somewhere on its case?

It has been suggested that with the Sata connection for an optical drive, there is a pin that notifies the system that the tray is open. The switch disables it.

If your caddy does not have a swtich, some have suggested swapping it for one that does.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172738-on-optical-bay-hd-caddy-adapters-for-laptops/?do=findComment&...

Further down of their conversation shows a caddy with a dual channel switch. One direction for HP laptops, the other direction for other laptops.

DVD caddy switch.jpg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

So the SSD is in an optical drive caddy? Please elaborate. 

HP Recommended

I'll just add...

If its a DVD drive caddy for a hard drive, does the caddy have a switch somewhere on its case?

It has been suggested that with the Sata connection for an optical drive, there is a pin that notifies the system that the tray is open. The switch disables it.

If your caddy does not have a swtich, some have suggested swapping it for one that does.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172738-on-optical-bay-hd-caddy-adapters-for-laptops/?do=findComment&...

Further down of their conversation shows a caddy with a dual channel switch. One direction for HP laptops, the other direction for other laptops.

DVD caddy switch.jpg

HP Recommended

yeh i replaced dvd drive with caddy containing ssd

HP Recommended

You sir are amazing.

I just turned the switch the other way and the problem solved.

Thanks Sir very much.

HP Recommended

Good to know, thanks for the update.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.