Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issues? Click here for tips and tricks.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 15-ax205na Laptop P
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I do not seem to have the storage space on my laptop that it is supposed to have. All I have is (C:) 119 GB and (E:) 1.3 GB but when I purchased this laptop in Jan 2017 I did so mainly for the storage as I go to university and the advertised storage is Memory, standard  8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2 x 4 GB) and hard drive 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA, 128 GB M.2 SSD please could you explain this to me as I was under the impression that these figures would give me a lot more storage then what I have. I use one drive but can only have a couple of documents synced to my laptop

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Its your 😧 drive. You have 920 gigs (nearly a Terabyte) of space in the D:\ drive.

However, it is "raw" which means not formatted or formatted in some way Windows does not recognize. You need to right click on it and choose "format" and format it to the NTFS file system so you can store data on it.

With a 128 gig system drive you have to be always cautious about space getting filled up and move as much as you can to the D:\ drive. You should, for example, move the Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Video files over to the 😧 drive once you get it formatted right. Easily done. 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3025345/windows/move-your-windows-10-libraries-to-a-separate-drive-or...

You might also want to go to This PC and look at the pie chart icons for the C: and 😧 drive once 😧 is formatted and see how full they are. Disk management just shows how big they are, not how much free space is left. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

We have to ask you to go into disk management and look at the depiction of the drives in your computer. It will look something like this:

diskmgt.jpg

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open-disk-management-2626080

Physical disks are listed down the left side (you should have at least 2 as I do [screenshot is my computer with a hard drive and an SSD]). From what you are telling us it seems the 1 TB disk is missing in action and we need to figure out where it is hiding. Also need to figure out how full the 128 gig SSD is.

Post back with any more questions. 

HP Recommended

sshot-1.png

HP Recommended

Are you able to help me find out where my storage has gone.

Many thanks

HP Recommended

Its your 😧 drive. You have 920 gigs (nearly a Terabyte) of space in the D:\ drive.

However, it is "raw" which means not formatted or formatted in some way Windows does not recognize. You need to right click on it and choose "format" and format it to the NTFS file system so you can store data on it.

With a 128 gig system drive you have to be always cautious about space getting filled up and move as much as you can to the D:\ drive. You should, for example, move the Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Video files over to the 😧 drive once you get it formatted right. Easily done. 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3025345/windows/move-your-windows-10-libraries-to-a-separate-drive-or...

You might also want to go to This PC and look at the pie chart icons for the C: and 😧 drive once 😧 is formatted and see how full they are. Disk management just shows how big they are, not how much free space is left. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.