Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion Dv7-3065dx
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a ageing HP Laptop, that is from 2009, and recently it has started to show issues when doing graphical programs, and running light games. I replaced the onboard RAM a few weeks ago with the same ammount, but it is still having issues. I'm afraid it might be a CPU issue, or a GPU, and if the GPU fails, I really don't want to have to run DOS. Is there a possibility its OS related, I have a Windows 7 install thumb drive, if needed.

HP Pavilion Dv7-3065dx

4 gigabytes of DDR2 RAM

500 gigabyte HHD 7200 RPM

2.4 gigahertz AMD Turion X2 ultra dual core mobile MG

AMD HD graphics (200 megs dedicated)

I just need to get the laptop through half the year (december), as I am replacing it with a new Pavilion Power PC, with Nvidia graphics.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@CooperChurch1

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion dv7-3065dx Entertainment Notebook. I read that there is a strange buzzing sound from the laptop while playing games and watching videos. 

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Is the laptop overheating while playing games?
  • Does the noise occur when the laptop is silent?

We can run the hardware test on the laptop. I suggest you to update the hardware diagnostic menu via this link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp47001-47500/sp47470.exe

Once the hardware diagnostic menu is updated, please run the hardware test on various components. Please refer to "UEFI System Tests" from this HP document.

Please feel free to reply with the results. Keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@CooperChurch1

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion dv7-3065dx Entertainment Notebook. I read that there is a strange buzzing sound from the laptop while playing games and watching videos. 

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Is the laptop overheating while playing games?
  • Does the noise occur when the laptop is silent?

We can run the hardware test on the laptop. I suggest you to update the hardware diagnostic menu via this link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp47001-47500/sp47470.exe

Once the hardware diagnostic menu is updated, please run the hardware test on various components. Please refer to "UEFI System Tests" from this HP document.

Please feel free to reply with the results. Keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

The computer is not over heating, it usually runs around 49 degrees C. while my Lenovo Yoga from 2016 runs around 72 degree C.

Alos, it makes the buzzing noise with sound, but if it has none, the computer will lag behind for a second, but if i move my mouse it stops freezing for a little while. It mostly does it in Chrome, but occassionaly while running Firefox.

It even froze up while playing DOOM from 1994.

HP Recommended

The computer is not over heating, it usually runs around 49 degrees C. while my Lenovo Yoga from 2016 runs around 72 degree C.

Alos, it makes the buzzing noise with sound, but if it has none, the computer will lag behind for a second, but if i move my mouse it stops freezing for a little while. It mostly does it in Chrome, but occassionaly while running Firefox.

It even froze up while playing DOOM from 1994.

I don't have a UEFI, just the original BIOS from when I recieved the laptop.

HP Recommended

I did the check, and nothing is wrong with my hardware, I think it could be something wrong with my windows installation. I have nothing installed to my HP, in terms of HP software like the assisstant. I also am going to reinstall my graphics driver to see if that helps.

HP Recommended

Greetings @CooperChurch1, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @MKazi, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Recommend you update the drivers using HP Support Assistant. Click here to know more about HPSA.

Once all the drivers are updated, please try the steps suggested in this HP Article to resolve any issue any issues with your computer freezing. 

If the noise is coming from the CPU fan, you can try the steps suggested in HP Notebook PCs - Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly, PC is Warmer than Normal

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
My driver's are all up to date, and I reinstalled my graphics driver. It seems to do the trick. Also it seems to happen when streaming hd in chrome, but rarely in Firefox, so I think it's purely software related.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and glad that the issue is resolved.

Please do post your technical queries on our Forums for assistance. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.