Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm adding a second hard drive (SATA) to my Envy notebook and I'm wondering if there are certain drives that are not supported. I purchased a WD Blue 2.5" 2TB drive from Best Buy (I got the SATA to ribbon cable and rubber drive caddy off eBay) and installed it and it's not recognized by Windows or the BIOS.

I noticed the documentation for the laptop only shows on drive as being supported and it's a 1TB HP hard drive. Is this the only hard drive that will work as a secondary drive?

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@HD01
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I see you need help in upgrading the HDD, on HP® ENVY x360 Laptops. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you. Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).
  • What happens when you start the computer with one hard drive?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The product number is 15m-cp0011dx and it loads fine with one or both hard drives, it's just not recognizing the second drive at all. Thanks.

HP Recommended

@HD01

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. Let's update the bios and check: 

Click here to update the bios.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've updated the BIOS and it still doen't recognize the hard drive in either BIOS or Disk Management.

HP Recommended

@HD01
Thank you for posting back.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. As you've performed relevant troubleshooting steps

and the issue persists, Hence, I would request you to contact our Phone Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

• Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/
  • Select the product type.
  • Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.
  • Select the country from the drop-down.
  • You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.