Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have an HP dm4t-1000 running Windows 7.  I just reformatted the HDD and attempted to get the system up-and-running again.  Everything seems to be working properly, except for the touchpad.

I've rebooted, uninstalled, and reinstalled the Synaptics touchpad driver about 20 times thus far (multiple different versions too).  I can see the touchpad in my Device Manager (says it is working properly), and both Windows Update and the Update Driver function within the Device Manager -> Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad -> Update Driver Software... say that the driver is up-to-date.  However, the touchpad still does not work (at all), and when I attempt to modify the settings of the Synaptics driver (Control Panel -> Mouse), I do NOT see a Device Settings tab.  Also, when I open the Mouse properties (Control Panel -> Mouse), I get the following error message:

"Control Panel Extension is Incompatible with Driver Version"

I'm confused here.  The device manager says that my hardware is working properly, but my touchpad is totally non-functional.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If the Synaptics settings does not appear under Mouse properties after completing the preceding steps, try the following:

1. Open device manager
  2. Find the touchpad device (“PS/2 Compatible Mouse”)
  3. Right click on the device and click “Update Driver Software”
  4. Select “Browse my computer for driver software”
  5. Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”
  6. ncheck the option “Show compatible hardware”
  7. nder “Manufacturer”, scroll down to “Synaptics”
  8. Under “Model”, the 17.0.19 driver should appear.
  9. Select the driver and click next.
  10. Click “Yes” to the “Update Driver Warning” pop-up.
  11. Restart
  12. Tell me if this works for you

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hello cbolson1,

I understand that your mouse is not working correctly.

Turn off the computer.
As you turn it back on tap the F10 key. This will load BIOS setup utility.
Press F9 to load defaults.
Press F10 to save and exit.

When the computer boots back up, check to see if everything is working.

If the mouse is not working, turn off the computer.

As you power it back on, tap F8 and load advanced boot options.

Start in safe mode.

Does the touchpad work in safe mode?

Let me know how everything goes.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your pointers.  I tried both resetting the BIOS to the defaults and starting the computer in safe mode.  Unfortunately, the touchpad did not work in either case.  Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

Have you find any solution?

I have exact same problem in my hp probook 4530s

HP Recommended

Sadly no.  In my case, the laptop was old enough where I was comfortable just giving up on it and letting it go quietly into the night...

HP Recommended

Install the latest synaptic driver you can find.  Note the location you install the package to for later.

Goto Device Manager and click on Mouse and other pointing devices

For me PS2 mouse was installed...so I updated the drivers from the proper location from above.

Rebooted and the tab for synaptics appeared under mouse in the control panel.

Good luck

HP Recommended

Did you find out any solution?

I am getting exactly the same problem in my HP Probook 4445s.

Please do reply if you did.

HP Recommended

If the Synaptics settings does not appear under Mouse properties after completing the preceding steps, try the following:

1. Open device manager
  2. Find the touchpad device (“PS/2 Compatible Mouse”)
  3. Right click on the device and click “Update Driver Software”
  4. Select “Browse my computer for driver software”
  5. Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”
  6. ncheck the option “Show compatible hardware”
  7. nder “Manufacturer”, scroll down to “Synaptics”
  8. Under “Model”, the 17.0.19 driver should appear.
  9. Select the driver and click next.
  10. Click “Yes” to the “Update Driver Warning” pop-up.
  11. Restart
  12. Tell me if this works for you
HP Recommended

ShivamKrishn is THE MAN!!!! I didn't know my 6-year old computer was even capable of multitouch capabilities on the touchpad until I installed Ubuntu and, to my surprise, multitouch just worked right out of the box. I installed Windows 10 on my computer and could not get multitouch to work, after days of trying. This finally worked! Awesome!!!! Thanks for the help!

HP Recommended

@natureboyms wrote:

ShivamKrishn is THE MAN!!!! I didn't know my 6-year old computer was even capable of multitouch capabilities on the touchpad until I installed Ubuntu and, to my surprise, multitouch just worked right out of the box. I installed Windows 10 on my computer and could not get multitouch to work, after days of trying. This finally worked! Awesome!!!! Thanks for the help!

That procedure always work , thanks for your sweet words for me. Leave a private message in future if you need further help . Always happy to help kudos !

Spoiler
Spoiler
:Wink:
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.