Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-ac161nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This laptop is using the same motherboard that came with it, so why am I seeing an error that HP says only comes from replacing the motherboard???

Why is it on the pages where people go for help on this issue, your HP lackeys are private messaging the people instead of putting the solution here for all to see?

How do I stop this error from happening every time I start the PC?
I pulled the little battery and held the power button for 30 seconds and the error went away, for 2 DAYS! Booting it up more than once a day, AND NOW IT'S BACK!!!
Explain that!! How did I get it to go away for 2 days? Why did it come back?
If the wrong information is in the BIOS, then WHY WAS I ABLE DO BOOT IT MULTIPLE TIMES WITH NO ERROR after resetting it?

And there is another problem with this, it doesn't charge fast enough to keep up with using it. When I reset the motherboard and no longer had that message coming from the BIOS, it charged normal, but now that the error is back, the charging system went bad again, so they ARE RELATED.
I have no confidence in getting help here, but I had to post this to make sure...

I've been repairing computers for over 20 years now and have never seen this issue on other brands.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@GRPC

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,  
I understand that you are getting this error (Missing or Invalid system board error) on your computer, In order to fix this issue, your computer BIOS needs to be tattooed with the product details. In other words, BIOS needs to be flashed by the service center.  

As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically. 

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That is ridiculous, why should I pay for support on a defect from the factory?

I've been running a computer repair business for over 20 years, and I've never seen a computer lose the product details in the BIOS, the only way that can happen is if there is a defect. This is not just my computer, I've seen many people complaining of the same thing in the HP help forums.

I've flashed the BIOS on many computers over the years, why do I have to pay to have HP do this for me? Just give me the file and let me flash it myself for free, like Dell and many other companies do!

I pulled the little battery from the motherboard, held the power button down for 30 seconds, then the error went away, for about 2 days and 4 or 5 boot ups. Then it came back. So flashing the BIOS does not sound like the solution, if the information is missing, then the error should be constant even after clearing the CMOS.

HP Recommended

@GRPC

Thank you for posting back. 

I want to thank you for taking the time to speak to us today. As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Have a great day! 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.