Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy x360 m convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can HP help me here?
To my surprise my new HP Envy laptop x360 does not have the right side 'ctrl' key on the keyboard. The right side ctrl key is very useful for running commands. How could HP miss this! This is a design flaw in my opinion.
How is Hp gonna help me?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Abhi51 

Well, I am sorry you are disappointed.

It's rough to find out you didn't purchase what you thought.

There are lots of different keyboards on the different models of computers, HP brand included.

The desire by customers for ever smaller, sleeker, lighter (in weight), traveling laptops has meant that keyboard space is at a premium.  Some keys added, others moved - or removed.  Some layouts are better for some people than they are for other people.

My Zbook has a full sized keyboard - all the keys one could want.  Lovely system.  Along with the other features on this machine, it's a 17" monster coming in at about eight pounds.  I've carried it all over the place, but that's me.  I am willing to haul the beast around to have what I want on it.

I have a smaller Probook x360 435 G7 - nice little system.  It lacks a lot of the keyboard functionality that I like - but the machine is small and pretty light weight.  Easy to move, carry, use...  I'd not want to use it for some tasks.

I am not sure what you expect - I think I understand what you want - but I don't see a way to make that happen.

What to do?

Up to you, of course.

If the computer is within its return period, return it to the merchant from whom you purchased the device.

When you replace the machine, keep an eye on the tech specs - and take a look at the User Guide where you will find all the illustrations and information about how the computer works.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Well, if there is an alternative or a way out by giving the functionality of ctrl key to the finger print scanner that is in the place place of ctrl key, then it would be really helpful.
Is it possible?
In previous Envy models the ctrl keys are in their place and the finger print scanner is outside the keyboard.
I don't know why did HP change this design..

HP Recommended

They change because consumers demand smaller and smaller laptops with more and more features. Only so much real estate to go around. As they are redundant, one on both sides, it is not as if you lost functionality completely, it just might require you to adapt your typing. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.