Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 14-n218us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I am having a problem with my touchpad and Windows 10.  It started yesterday after my computer was frozen after startup and I couldn't access the login screen, so I reset my PC and kept my files.  After resetting and getting back to the desktop I found that If I either tap on the touchpad or do a quick swipe on the touchpad, Windows Action Center will pull up every time and I have to tap or swipe again for it to go away.  I never had the problem before resetting my PC and after speaking with Microsoft they claim it is a malfunction of the touchpad. 

I've been searching online and see suggestions to disable 4 finger gestures to resolve the issue, however my laptop does not have 4 finger gestures.  I have reinstalled the driver for the touchpad and still have the issue.  I'm at a loss.

Anyone familiar with this issue?  It has become increasingly frustrating and I'm hoping there's a solution.  Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@SidewaysEights

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand tapping on touchpad opens Windows Action Center,

No worries as I'd love to help, however, I need a few more details to provide an accurate solution:

Did you make any recent software or hardware changes?

Have you attempted a system restore to check if that works? if it ever worked before!

While you reply, here's what you can try:

• Go to Settings on Action Center then System,
  • then Notifications and Actions,
  • then Turn System Icons On or Off,
  • And Action Center should be at the bottom
  • slide it from on to off. 

Also, try the below steps:

• Open windows Control Panel and in the top right, next to View by: select 'Large Icons'.  From the new layout, select the Synaptics entry.

• Select the 'Clicking' entry ( not the checkmark ) and then select the settings cog to the right.

• Set 'Three Finger Click Action' to Disabled in the dropdown menu, then click Close, followed by Apply and Ok in the previous window.

Hope it works for you.

Keep me posted,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was able to solve this by going to Device Manager and uninstall the device.  Then install sp61289 which you should be able to download from HP and is the Synaptics driver for Win8 64 bit but works on Windows 10.  The Microsoft driver does not work.  You will probably have to repeat this after some windows updates when Microsoft will install their latest version.  Repeating this process should resolve the issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.