Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN Laptop - 15t (5VY11AV_1)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an OMEN Laptop - 15t (5VY11AV_1) that I purchased earlier this year (February 2020)

I noticed the Windows key on my keyboard stopped working today.  This appears to be the only key that stopped working.

I just uninstalled logitech setpoint and logitech options software before I noticed the key stopped working.  But, I'm not entirely sure those uninstalls caused the issue.

Things I have tried to fix it:

• Reinstalled logitech setpoint
  • Reinstalled logitech options
  • Installed the latest BIOS update
  • Uninstalled the keyboard in Device Manager and rebooted

It's still not working.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After doing a full reset of Windows 10, the issue still persisted.  So, it's not a software issue.

I contacted HP support https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp and thankfully the laptop is still under warranty.  They sent me a return box.  I will be shipping it out for warranty repair tomorrow.

Update:  6/19/2020

I received the laptop back from warranty repair today.  The keyboard was not replaced.  The repair reported was, "Reseated/Secured Cables and/or Components, Performed Extensive Testing".  It works like new again.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@N-4T3O 

Logitech SetPoint and Options are different software -- you don't need both and should not be running both.  I run options and that is what you need to be running.

Unlike external keyboards, the ones on laptops are not made to be rugged, but instead, to be light. Thus, if you get five years out of a laptop keyboard, you're doing very well.

Individual keys are generally not replaceable, but if the keys are not broken, then the issue is more likely with the membrane underneath the keyboard and that has to be replaced as a unit.

Here's some troubleshooting steps you can try: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03738933

If you are experienced at laptop repairs, you can often replace a keyboard for $25 for a new one and a half-hours work. I have done this on older HP laptops.

But, if you're NOT, there is a serious risk of breaking fragile connectors and cables doing this -- so I do not recommend it.

Instead, I would recommend you hunting down a local laptop repair place to have THEM replace the keyboard. Should only be an hour's work or less.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you @WAWood.

You're right about logitech software.  Since I only have a single mouse, I don't need both Setpoint and Options.  However, I do have an older mouse and it's not supported by the newer Options software.  I will uninstall Options.

I believe the laptop is still under warranty, so I will go the hardware replacement route after I run out of things to try software-wise.  If necessary, I am capable of replacing the keyboard myself, although I'm not looking forward to pulling out almost all parts to get to it.  I do have the necessary tools.

So, looking for other software-wise things to try before replacing the keyboard.  It's only about 3 months old.

HP Recommended

After doing a full reset of Windows 10, the issue still persisted.  So, it's not a software issue.

I contacted HP support https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp and thankfully the laptop is still under warranty.  They sent me a return box.  I will be shipping it out for warranty repair tomorrow.

Update:  6/19/2020

I received the laptop back from warranty repair today.  The keyboard was not replaced.  The repair reported was, "Reseated/Secured Cables and/or Components, Performed Extensive Testing".  It works like new again.

HP Recommended

Update above.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.