Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x2 12‑a001dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After reset, I found the buttons on the left to turn up or down are not responding. What can I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @pcsl,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have tried the steps suggested and found that volume button on the left does not work, In this scenario, I would suggest you run a sfc scan on your PC.

To run System File Checker in Windows 10:

1.  Press Windows Key + X

2.  Click Command Prompt (Admin)

3.  Type in:  sfc /scannow

4.  Press Enter.

Please try this step and let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @pcsl,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. 

As I understand the volume button doesn't work on your PC,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

What is the product number of this computer? (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Wen did this start to happen? Was it after an update? Has it always been this way?

Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting this on HP Forums?

In the meantime, you could try to uninstall and reinstall the audio drivers, as volume and mute functionality should be provided by the audio driver, using this link.

Have you looked for related HP Forum posts that have a solution for your concern?

If you haven't, Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here for the...

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

What is the product number of this computer?

Mine is 12-a001dx

After I finished the reset (Full reset), I found the volumn buttons on the left don't work. But the control on the keyboard or on touch screen work. It can produce sound. So I don't think it is the matter of the sound card.

HP Recommended

Hi @pcsl,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have tried the steps suggested and found that volume button on the left does not work, In this scenario, I would suggest you run a sfc scan on your PC.

To run System File Checker in Windows 10:

1.  Press Windows Key + X

2.  Click Command Prompt (Admin)

3.  Type in:  sfc /scannow

4.  Press Enter.

Please try this step and let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
What is the system file scan used for? What results will there be?
HP Recommended

Hi @ pcsl,

Thank you for getting back to us,

I understand you want to know why do you need to run sfc scannow, don't worry I'll be glad to help you with this,

System File Checker scans protected system files and checks the versions to make sure that all Windows files are where they should be and that they are not corrupt. If System File Checker finds a protected file has been damaged or overwritten, it replaces it with the correct file.

I would suggest you try to follow the steps suggested in the previous post and get back to us with the results for further assistance.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried sfc scan. It did not help.

Then, I turn on HP support programme which is installed in the system. It checked for hp updates. Now, the buttons work.

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.