Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issues? Click here for tips and tricks.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN Laptop - 15-ek0000nt

Hello there!

I'm Volkan and I need a help on this situation. My laptop's temperature can rise 50~ degress on idle even though I changed my Min-max processor state to lower percentages. It's been like that for 6 months. Now, I just saw this Optional Update from Windows Update.My BIOS is F13 something and the update is F15. But my biggest concern is that I have no update news on my HP Support Assistant. So, I was like unsure about installing this Optional BIOS update. Should I update it? I feel like updating BIOS might lower the temperature but also might some problems too. Please. Be my saviour!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Anything you decide to do will be fine EXCEPT updating to F15. I have seen enough reports here and on reddit to know that there is a very good chance your laptop will perform worse or might even refuse to work correctly. Some years ago HP decided to collaborate with M$ and give out these firmware-level updates through windowsupdate, and the carnage has been pouring like ugly on an orc. Personally, I only update BIOS when I have to, so my advice is stick to  F13 until something better comes along.....

I think you should take a look at Throttlestop. It's the first program I download on any Intel PC, and it's completely portable. You can get support on its forums by its creator Kevin Glynn aka unclewebb. I agree about the repasting, I think that it's long overdue...

Have fun!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi  VolkanT.

It's good to be careful when it comes to updating your system's UEFI with new firmware. Usually when HP issues a BIOS update that improves thermal management, it is stated on that update's info. You can take a look at your product's selfservice page and see all the available BIOS updates yourself:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/omen-15-ek0000-laptop-pc-series/32827267 

OMEN15-Ek0000nt.jpg

......but there's something wrong with the BIOS versions on the HP page, and the ones you reported (F13, F15). Are you sure your product is 15-Ek0000nt?

Update/correction

OK, there's actually a second list of BIOS upgrades right underneath an the F13 version is listed, as well as the F14. No mention of a F15 version though. I think you should NOT upgrade to the F15 version not listed here.

OMEN15-Ek0000nt_b.jpg

There have been quite a few threads on the forum with users that flashed their BIOS with versions not listed on their product's page, and had issues. Also, there's nothing about improved thermal management on any of the updates' notes.

HP Recommended

You're indeed a saviour good sire! 

Ok enough this roleplaying. Uhm, I went to this link you sent: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/omen-15-ek0000-laptop-pc-series/32827267

And yes im sure of it, my HP Support Assistant says that I have OMEN Laptop - 15-ek0000nt.

and the thing is my OST version is not there. I have Windows 10 version 22H2 but i cant see 22H2 in the options. So, i guess that's it. I will not install this optional update that windows has.

But still, do you think is there a way for me to lower the temperature, relieve my CPU from that much load? It's been 2 and a half years, it might be normal i dont know.

Here is what happened yesterday; I was playing Diablo 4. I have i5 10300h and RTX 2060. I chose medium-high settings and also changed my min-max processor state from power options menu in order to get the best and fluent gameplay experience. Unfortunately, FPS dropped so frequently that i started to think my laptop is not qualified to run the game.

Here's the part that shocked me. I lowered my min-max processor state to min:40, max:80 and my FPS didnt even drop to 59. I played like for 3 hours and it was so fluent and made me happy that i have this laptop. But i was like "Why i am getting this much fluent, 60 fps experience when I lowered my processpor state. Also, after playing 3 hours, I closed the game and put my hands on the laptops keyboard it was so hot. It worried me. Shortly after i opened Omen gaming hub to look at the CPU temp, it was 97 degrees...  

After seeing 55 degrees when idle, now my only goal is to get the optimal experience. I was never that max settings guy. I wanna get 60 fps and i dont want my cpu temp to see those 97 degrees. Also, I don't want my laptop's fans to sound like airplane engines... 

HP Recommended

Yes, it's good to pay attention to the details. However, your Windows version doesn't matter. If you choose Windows10x64 instead of a particular w10 version, it will show you all BIOS updates available for Windows 10, and if you take a look at the info for BIOS F.14 REV: A here you will actually notice that HP has marked this update as compatible for all w10 versions AND windows 11! The problem is with Windows Update offering optional "expensive doorstop makers".

There are many ways to fine tune your CPU's performance. Windows settings is not a good place to start (even for a complete novice). Throttlestop is a good place to start. Modern systems have very weak cooling systems, so the strong CPU runs like a jet right into thermal throttling in a matter of minutes or even seconds when gaming. This is counter-productive. Limiting the CPU from the very beginning can actually get you sustained performance. On a hardware level, repasting is also the alpha (and the omega I have to say).

HP Recommended

Hmm, thanks for the help, it was definitely useful and enlightning!

So, are you suggesting me to update my BIOS manually even though my HP Support Assistant doesnt show it? It only says "Provides improved security." though. I kinda dont think it would be a solution for me. To be honest, "repasting" making the most sense to me right now. Yeah... So yeah, thanks again!

HP Recommended

Anything you decide to do will be fine EXCEPT updating to F15. I have seen enough reports here and on reddit to know that there is a very good chance your laptop will perform worse or might even refuse to work correctly. Some years ago HP decided to collaborate with M$ and give out these firmware-level updates through windowsupdate, and the carnage has been pouring like ugly on an orc. Personally, I only update BIOS when I have to, so my advice is stick to  F13 until something better comes along.....

I think you should take a look at Throttlestop. It's the first program I download on any Intel PC, and it's completely portable. You can get support on its forums by its creator Kevin Glynn aka unclewebb. I agree about the repasting, I think that it's long overdue...

Have fun!

HP Recommended

Alright, I'll definitely go and look at it! I really  do appreciate the way you helped! Thanks a lot and have a great day!

HP Recommended

Don't mention it 😁

Next time check the HP page for your product before allowing any kind of serious (especially firmware-level) update to install. Other than that you're fine!

HP Recommended

Hi, There is nothing wrong with updating BIOS. Not updating it might lead to serious security issues and may cause performance issues too. 

Also, updating BIOS is not easy as it is a tricky business. To overcome this problem, you can simply use safe, efficient, and reliable BIOS update software.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.