Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-bs012ne
Microsoft Windows 11

My laptop has been heating up a lot recently everytime I try to run a heavy app or game, which did'nt happen until recently. I've been browsing through various thermal products and I would like to know what is the thermal paste HP uses on their notebook laptops so I can buy that or something similar. I would also like to know if it's ok if I buy something better than what HP uses or if it would damage the device.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

They do not tell us what they use. But you can and should use compound with the highest silver content you can find. I personally like the little individual "ketchup" packs or the little syringes because the thin stream of compound makes it easy to control how much you use.

I recall reading an article in a computer fan magazine a couple years ago where they tested a bunch of different thermal compounds and none were bad, its all in the technique. Apply a super thin but completely covering coat on the surface to be cooled. Minimize slop-over. Clean everything around the processor and the vents very well and a step many forget to do is to clean the fan blades with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol very carefully and let it all dry before reassembly. You will not damage anything with the compound just be careful not to cause physical damage.

Post back if you have any more questions. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

They do not tell us what they use. But you can and should use compound with the highest silver content you can find. I personally like the little individual "ketchup" packs or the little syringes because the thin stream of compound makes it easy to control how much you use.

I recall reading an article in a computer fan magazine a couple years ago where they tested a bunch of different thermal compounds and none were bad, its all in the technique. Apply a super thin but completely covering coat on the surface to be cooled. Minimize slop-over. Clean everything around the processor and the vents very well and a step many forget to do is to clean the fan blades with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol very carefully and let it all dry before reassembly. You will not damage anything with the compound just be careful not to cause physical damage.

Post back if you have any more questions. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for you help Huffer. Anyways I've ended up buying a paste with a conductivity of 12.8 so hope this works.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.