Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The touchpad and external USB mouse are periodically unresponsive on a new install of Win 10 on HP Pavilion Notebook ( c 2014). Moving the mouse continuously results in smooth movement on the screen for about 1 second and then the motion stops for about 0.5 sec. Tried various fixes suggested for jerky mouse movement (eg https://windowsreport.com/mouse-lag-windows-10) but none have worked. Task Manager shows a periodic spike for CPU use, with System apparently responsible. The rotating dots shown for long-duration events periodically stop rotating as well.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@SimonKravis Welcome to HP Community!

Please provide the correct product number.

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Product: F4A69PA#A5G

Model: 15-n0114AU

Serial Number: [Personal Information Removed]

Rev:216F-100

PCID :0881100000305E00000620100

HP Recommended

@SimonKravis

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Downloaded and ran HP Support Assistant as suggested, and updated a couple of items. Then tried to update Windows 10 , but the Cumulative update for Windows 10  version 2004 (KB 4571756) keeps failing with error 0x8007045d, despite repeated retries. The problem of periodic freezing is still there and seems unlikely to be resolved by the update. CPU use still shows periodic spike. Should I try restoring Windows 8.1?

HP Recommended

@SimonKravis

I understand your concerns.

As you have stated that. Please try restoring Windows 8.1.

Please let us know.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

The only options which appear when repeatedly clicking F9 after powering up are OS BootManager and Boot from EFI file. How do I add Boot from USB as an Option? When I set Boot options by clicking F10 after load I can move USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Disk to the top of the UEFI Boot Order list but this does not appear when clicking F9. Other Boot Options are CD-ROM Boot = Enabled, Internal Network Adapter  = Disabled, Network Boot Protocol I= Ipv4 + IpV6, Legacy Support = Disabled, Secure Boot = Disabled, Platform Key = Enrolled, Pending Action = None.

UEFI Boot order

USB Diskette on Key/ USB Hard Drive

USB CD/DVD ROM Drive

OS boot Manager

Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive

! Network Adapter

Tried disabling all secure boot keys and now machine will not boot at all

HP Recommended

@SimonKravis

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggets you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I was able to access the BIOS after removing and replacing the battery and repeatedly clicking F10 after powering up. I am now back with the problem that the only Boot options showing are OS Boot Manager and Boot from EFI File. How can I make the system boot from a USB drive? If I try and boot from a USB with Windows 8.1 installed via Windows 10 I get the Boot device failed message,

In Windows 10, if I boot in Safe mode, the problem of periodically freezing mouse and touchpad is not present.

HP Recommended

I was eventually able to restore Windows 8.0 using the recovery media supplied with the laptop (I was able to access these using an external USB DVD/CD Drive) if it was plugged in when booting up. I then was able to upgrade to 8.1, but updates do not seem to work. Laptop works OK now.

HP Phone support said that latest Win 10 upgrades might cause hangs on a 2014 Pavilion hardware. Is this the case?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.