Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre X360 (13")
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new Spectre 360 (model 13-ac0XX, product Z4Z22UA#ABA) that has started experiencing multiple problems. They may or may not be related.

Problem 1

The touchpad cursor routinely freezes and will no longer responds to the touchpad. Usually after a few seconds it starts responding again, only to freeze again a few seconds later. Rebooting does not help. I reinstalled the Synaptics drivers from the HP website (version v19.3.11.45) but this also makes no difference.

Problem 2

When I type text into any application the cursor stops entering the text as I type. Then, after a delay of several seconds the text will appear -- as if it was being captured in a buffer but not displayed when it is typed. This happens over and over and makes typing anything but a short sentence nearly impossible.

I have run HP Support Assistant and it reports that all drivers are up-to-date as of today (June 24, 2017). It is possible that the same underlying issue is causing both problems, but when I check performance monitor I cannot identify any process that is hogging the CPU.

Each of these problems is making my laptop essentially unusable, and if I can't get a resolution I'm going to return the unit to BestBuy where I purchased it.

HP do you have a solution for these problems?

Thanks!

Phil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So I received my Spectre 13" laptop back from HP yesterday.

They did not provide much info on what was done and why, but I did note that the drive (SSD) was replaced. My machine seems to be working fine at this point.

I consider my issue to be resolved now. HP Support was very fast. I shipped it out on Monday and got it back Friday of the same week so kudos to HP on that.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @toddphi,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing issues with the touchpad wherein the cursor freezes.

This issue could occur if the BIOS or Touchpad drivers are not updated.

Let's go through a few steps to troubleshoot this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the link: Using the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 10)

You may also follow the steps in the link to check if the issue is with the mouse or keyboard: Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 😎

If the issue persists, then you may restore the system to a previous point by checking the link: Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 10, 😎

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

This did NOT solve the problem. I spent an hour or so last weekend with one of your on-line technicians. He remotely logged in to my computer, deleted the existing Synaptics track pad drivers and reinstalled the same version (which was already the latest). The problem has come back. The computer works fine for the first few minutes after a reboot, but then the mouse cursor starts to freeze up. Some times it is only for a few seconds, but it gets progressively worse. Basically I have to reboot the computer every 20 minutes or so. This is unacceptable.

This computer is just over a month old. It is clearly defective as your HP tech could not fix the problem. What can I do? Will HP replace it with a new one? I've already spent MANY HOURS trying to solve this problem. I have never had so much trouble with a brand new computer!

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I have the exactly same problem.

Has it been resolved? and if so, how did you resolve the problem?

This is so frustrating!

HP Recommended

I responded to your message in detail, but someone removed my post. It showed that it took four calls to the HP Support line for them to reach the conclusion that there was a hardware problem.

My computer is at the HP Service Center for repair and I hope to receive it back next week.

HP Recommended

So I received my Spectre 13" laptop back from HP yesterday.

They did not provide much info on what was done and why, but I did note that the drive (SSD) was replaced. My machine seems to be working fine at this point.

I consider my issue to be resolved now. HP Support was very fast. I shipped it out on Monday and got it back Friday of the same week so kudos to HP on that.

HP Recommended

I had the exact same problem, took the notebook to the store for a replacement. The new one behaves exactly the same as the old one.

After trying with BIOS updates / driver updates / disabling HD Realtek, etc. It got my attention that it only happened whenever I use Chrome and then everything goes awfully wrong.

Uninistalled Chrome and using Microsoft Edge, solved the problem. Not a single incident since.

Hope it helps someone, it really took me a long time to figure it out.

HP Recommended

Turns out my problem was not resolved by HP replacing the SSD with a new one. The touchpad/cursor freezing started up again almost immediately. (I had not installed Chrome so my issue must have been different from yours.) I ended up returning the unit to HP for a refund.

This was a time-consuming ordeal for me but I acknowledge that HP Support did a good job or responding to my issues, and they did the right thing when it became clear that I had a defective unit.

I liked the Spectre a lot and was disappointed to have to return it. However, HP support made a very good impression.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Good impression? Simply being polite and replacing a computer without fixing the problem.  

HP Recommended

I was able to get around this by doing a rollback of the mouse driver to a ps2 mouse.   Seems fine now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.