Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-bw0xx Laptop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, my laptop's touchpad just recently stopped working, including the buttons. The keyboard is fine. I've tried double tapping the top-left corner of the touchpad and that did not work.

When I look into the settings of the computer and search for TouchPad, nothing comes up. It is no longer existent it seems.

I am very confused on why this is, it was working fine earlier.

Please if someone could help that would be great!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Zizzle173,

Good Day. Thank you for taking an interest in the HP community. I understand that you require assistance regarding issues with the touchpad. I will be delighted to assist you here. Fabulous description and superb diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this:

• Did you check if an external USB mouse works correctly with the notebook?
  • Was any liquid spilled on the notebook?

It looks like a hardware issue with the touchpad. For now, please try these steps:

• Connect an external USB mouse to the computer and check if it works. If it does then the touchpad needs to be replaced.
  • If the computer is out of warranty an inexpensive way of using it would be to order an external USB mouse or a small wireless mouse and use it as service could come with charge as it is out of warranty.
  • I am being honest about it by keeping your best interest in mind without beating around the bush.
  • Perform all the relevant steps that best describe the issue from this link: http://hp.care/2DabBoM (HP Notebook PCs - Keyboard and TouchPad or ClickPad Troubleshooting) It is a guided troubleshooter.
  • Now check if gets resolved. Also refer to this document: http://hp.care/2D6R9ow (HP Notebook PCs - Using the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 10)

If the issue continues, contact HP phone support to get the computer repaired if need to get it done.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://hp.care/2r9wSvP

• Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
  • Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
  • Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
  • Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

If the computer is more than 3 years old then service options with HP are no longer available because the original suppliers and manufacturers who manufacture and supply the parts to HP to build and service the computer don't do so anymore.

Please contact a local technician to get the product repaired.

Otherwise, use the simple workaround to order a USB or wireless mouse and work with it.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient. 

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Zizzle173,

Good Day. Thank you for taking an interest in the HP community. I understand that you require assistance regarding issues with the touchpad. I will be delighted to assist you here. Fabulous description and superb diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this:

• Did you check if an external USB mouse works correctly with the notebook?
  • Was any liquid spilled on the notebook?

It looks like a hardware issue with the touchpad. For now, please try these steps:

• Connect an external USB mouse to the computer and check if it works. If it does then the touchpad needs to be replaced.
  • If the computer is out of warranty an inexpensive way of using it would be to order an external USB mouse or a small wireless mouse and use it as service could come with charge as it is out of warranty.
  • I am being honest about it by keeping your best interest in mind without beating around the bush.
  • Perform all the relevant steps that best describe the issue from this link: http://hp.care/2DabBoM (HP Notebook PCs - Keyboard and TouchPad or ClickPad Troubleshooting) It is a guided troubleshooter.
  • Now check if gets resolved. Also refer to this document: http://hp.care/2D6R9ow (HP Notebook PCs - Using the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 10)

If the issue continues, contact HP phone support to get the computer repaired if need to get it done.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://hp.care/2r9wSvP

• Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
  • Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
  • Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
  • Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

If the computer is more than 3 years old then service options with HP are no longer available because the original suppliers and manufacturers who manufacture and supply the parts to HP to build and service the computer don't do so anymore.

Please contact a local technician to get the product repaired.

Otherwise, use the simple workaround to order a USB or wireless mouse and work with it.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient. 

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks David!

I have not spilt any liquids on it, and the external bluetooth mouse I got works with the computer, which leads me to believe that the TouchPad is broken itself. So yeah, I don't know why it broke all of the sudden.

I am also still confused on how the TouchPad settings dissapeared, but maybe that is because the TouchPad lost a certain connection to the computer.

Thank you for your help! I'll try to find a local technician to attempt to fix it.

HP Recommended

Hi @Zizzle173,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. 🙂 You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Please take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi my HP probook 4340s mousse is not working it seems like is deactivate cause orange light flashed on the mousse can someone help me to reactivate?thank a alot20190413_002946.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.