Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 14 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I recently purchased a new HP Pavilion 14 Notebook laptop computer and in the initial setup, created an account and password but didn't create a password reset disc, an administrator account or alternate logon setting. I also am not registered with Microsoft so cannot change the password that way.

I've seen instructions on downloading ISO software and trying to boot-up via USB drive but none of the command prompts thus far are working. I've tried F9, F10, F2, F6, etc. all either on their own or by pressing ESC first. Is there any other way to recover the password? Failing that, since nothing was set up on the hard drive yet, would it be easier to default to factory settings? And if so, what is the best way to proceed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can perform a Factory Reset as detailed in the link below - see the sub-heading 'Recovery when Windows 10 does not start correctly'.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04758961

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can perform a Factory Reset as detailed in the link below - see the sub-heading 'Recovery when Windows 10 does not start correctly'.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04758961

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Great, that worked. Thank you very much!

HP Recommended

You're welcome and good to hear it's Ok :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
I'm having similar problems. I tried a password reset key. A boot USB drive. All of the "F" keys. Everything I can think of and I still can't get this thing to unlock. I tried just erasing everything but it keeps saying " additional free space is needed to continue. Please free up space and try again" How can I do that if I'm locked out and I can't remember the user password????
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.