Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 14-ce0501sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am looking at upgrading the ram in a HP Pavilion - 14-ce0501sa but i am getting mixed informaiton on the speed of the ram the machine is able to take. 

At the moment i am getting either ddr4-2400 or ddr4-2666 the laptop currently have 8gb ddr4-2400 and i know the machine can take 16gb but only has one slot so want to make sure i get the best for the laptop.  I have been unable to find anywhere the exact type of ram the machine can run  or can it run both speeds?

Help please

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual 

You have an 8th gen processor so the memory will run at DDR4-2400 but installed memory is likely to be DDR4-2666 which bridges or downclocks to -2400 speed. There is a single slot and max capacity is 16 gigs. HP notebooks operate best and in some cases only with stock OEM memory and not performance or gaming modules. DDR4-2400 would work but if the laptop has -2666 installed I would get that type of module in your preferred capacity

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

The link to the maunal states its ddr4-2400 but if i go online and go to sites that sell ram they are coming back with ddr4-2666 as well as 2400. Just needing someone to confirm the exact ram.  Of course i would like to put in the faster speed but i dont want to waste my money on ram that is in correct either.

Do you have the specs for the mainboard itself.  That will be able to confirm either way.  The manual doesnt cover what it can and cant take

HP Recommended

The Manual is the only statement of specifications HP publishes. You can use DDR4-2400 or DDR4-2666 that will downclock to -2400. That is why you are seeing memory sellers offer 2400 or 2666. That is what this all means:

Memory One SODIMM memory module slot, non-customer-accessible/non-upgradable

supports up to 16-GB of system memory

DDR4-2133 single channel support (DDR4-2666 bridged to DDR4-2400, DDR4-2400 downgraded to DDR4-2133)

If you want the precise memory HP would have installed from the factory to offer 16 gb it would be this:

Memory modules (DDR4-2400, 1.2-V):16-MB 865396-855

Obviously "MB" is a misprint. The price is ridiculous if you try to buy it with HP Part number. Not necessary:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194560136962?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2d4cb01702:g:dg0AAOSwrCNhpzhf&am...

Good luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.