Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart 14-k029tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi There! 

I truly appreciate if anyone can give me some idea on how to change my 128GB SSD hard drive in HP ENVY TouchSmart 14-k029tx sleek book laptop and upgrade it to a 1TB ssd as its warranty is already expired and I am in serious need to change my hard drive to be able accomodate my Software developing kits and data analysis tools.  and Also up to how much RAM I can add to this laptop ? what is the maximum RAM support ?

I am looking forward to hearing your precious and fast response as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot.

Yours sincerely,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

See p. 43 of the Manual here:

Service Manual

The laptop will hold both an mSATA mSSD and a hard drive.

@Riddle_Decipher essentially has the advice correct, but these Sleekbook models from 3 or 4 years ago are very unique and subject to some hardware limitations we do not even worry about any more. Technology has moved on. 

If your laptop does not have a hard drive in the main 2.5 inch bay you will need a caddy and cable kit to add a 2.5 inch hard drive or SSD. This will add expense.

If you do add a 2.5 inch drive in that bay, your original 128 gig mSSD will not longer be able to be the boot drive.

The BIOS is set up so an mSATA mSSD can either be a stand-alone storage drive, as in your case, or can hold a smaller mSSD disk that "accelerates" the mechanical hard drive.

Despite the Manual you can install a larger single mSATA mSSD but 256 or 512 is the biggest one of those I have ever seen. They don't make them any more and they are hard to find. $545 for a 1 TB is about twice what you would pay for a 1 TB 2.5 inch disk. So the 1 TB you linked could be installed and would work if it were the only drive in the system but at crazy expense.

The mSATA mSSD is the same speed and performance as a 2.5 inch wide SATA SSD, but a bit more expensive per gig.

So given all the above, your best bet is to buy a 1 TB 2.5 inch SATA SSD and put the OS on it. You can keep your 128 gig mSATA mSSD but it can only be used as additional storage.  One SSD will not accelerate another so it can't be used for that.

Post back with more questions as I have actually done these upgrades and can probably save you some grief before you buy something.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@SAT-PC

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand you are in need of upgrading your SSD and the RAM,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you check your user manual/service guide?

While you check that out, here're a few things you should know:

Supports up to 16-GB max system memory in the following configurations:

● 4096MB (2048MB x 2)

● 4096MB (4096MB x 1)

● 6144MB (2048MB x 1 + 4096MB x 1)

● 8192MB (4096MB x 2)

● 8192MB (8192MB x 1)

● 12288MB (8192MB + 4096MB)

● 16384MB (8192MB x 2)

(FYI: 4096MB = 4GB)

I'm afraid the 128GB SSD is the maximum supported by your computer, according to your service manual guide: Click here for details.

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher

Thanks a lot for sharing information I got the point. As I looked at the manual and I have seen it is only supporting 128 GB of SSD.  However, Since you are the expert in hardware compatibility; I would like to get some advice from you regarding this website.

https://www.ramcity.com.au/upgrade/hp-compaq/envy-notebook/14-k029tx/135821?f9=mSata&rf=f9

since they are claiming 100% compatibility of these specs with my laptop. I am more curious about the compatibility of following SSD: 

Is it feasible if I try to use following SSD with 8GB I totally understand in manual it is stated clearly that device is compatible with only 128 GB SSD but I was considering with hard forks of the windows OS 10s and the nature of the laptop is it possible to do such an upgrade? I highly appreciate if you give me the final advice in this matter. 

Samsung 850 Evo 1TB mSata 50mm Internal SSD

• Part #: MZ-M5E1T0BW
  • 1TB
  • Samsung 40nm 128Gbit TLC V-NAND
  • 540 MB/sec Read, 520 MB/secWrite
  • SATA III
  • 512MB cache
  • 5 Yrs Warranty

Cheers and Thanks again :generic:

HP Recommended

@SAT-PC

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

The pleasure is all mine, that said, I'm afraid your model will not support an mSATA SSD that's any more than the 128GB storage, If you wish to upgrade the HDD to an SSD, you may do so, with a storage capacity of 1TB as mentioned on the service manual guide.

Anything more may not be detected by the motherboard as it's not recommended by HP.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

See p. 43 of the Manual here:

Service Manual

The laptop will hold both an mSATA mSSD and a hard drive.

@Riddle_Decipher essentially has the advice correct, but these Sleekbook models from 3 or 4 years ago are very unique and subject to some hardware limitations we do not even worry about any more. Technology has moved on. 

If your laptop does not have a hard drive in the main 2.5 inch bay you will need a caddy and cable kit to add a 2.5 inch hard drive or SSD. This will add expense.

If you do add a 2.5 inch drive in that bay, your original 128 gig mSSD will not longer be able to be the boot drive.

The BIOS is set up so an mSATA mSSD can either be a stand-alone storage drive, as in your case, or can hold a smaller mSSD disk that "accelerates" the mechanical hard drive.

Despite the Manual you can install a larger single mSATA mSSD but 256 or 512 is the biggest one of those I have ever seen. They don't make them any more and they are hard to find. $545 for a 1 TB is about twice what you would pay for a 1 TB 2.5 inch disk. So the 1 TB you linked could be installed and would work if it were the only drive in the system but at crazy expense.

The mSATA mSSD is the same speed and performance as a 2.5 inch wide SATA SSD, but a bit more expensive per gig.

So given all the above, your best bet is to buy a 1 TB 2.5 inch SATA SSD and put the OS on it. You can keep your 128 gig mSATA mSSD but it can only be used as additional storage.  One SSD will not accelerate another so it can't be used for that.

Post back with more questions as I have actually done these upgrades and can probably save you some grief before you buy something.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.