Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15-bl075nr

Replaced my swollen battery and now the laptop won’t charge via the usb c charger. 
-Laptop boots and runs on battery power

-charging does not work via either usb c port, no other charging ports

-reinstalled old battery and it still doesn’t charge. 
-updated bios 

-deleted and reinstalled usb drivers 

-did hard power button reset

-usb c ports work for data and will charge other devices

-unhooked battery and charger and held power button for 30 sec and let sit for 10 min. 
-Tried different charger, both work on other laptop

-battery test in bios and hp assistant are good, but fail power supply because it doesn’t detect 

help!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Does the power/charge LED light up when the power adapter is connected to the notebook?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

No. The light does not come on nor does it show the battery as charging on the task bar. 

HP Recommended

Ok.

That is an indication of either a failure of the power adapter or a failure of component(s) in the charging/power rail circuit on the system board.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you for your support. I’ve tried multiple chargers and the charger does work on other laptops. Also, the usb c port works and will charge devices plugged into it. The charging function was working when I removed the old battery. Can you provide more information on the charging rail? Nothing eventful happened when swapping batteries, it is common to damage when swapping batteries? Is there a test to verify that the problem is the charging rail? Is it repairable? If so, where is it located and how do I repair it?

HP Recommended

If you want to actually delve into the circuitry, then it is time for you to learn how to repair circuit boards to the component level.

That is beyond the intended scope of this forum.

Our suggestions are to  help you decide which direction to go based on what you know you can do.

If you feel competent enough in your electonics repair skills without a schematic, and have a voltage injection power supply, a good multimeter with probes, an Infrared camera, solder station and an air rework station, go for it.

Troubleshooting PC motherboards,  notebook PC system boards and other consumer devices with SMD components is an art.

If not, there is the HP service Center or Electronics repair shops who can do it for you.   

HP Recommended

Thanks. I do not have the equipment for circuit repair. I did plug the battery in backwards on the first install, the adapter plugs in either way with no indication of proper orientation. It wouldn’t boot, flipped the connector then it booted.  Could that have damaged it? It just seems very odd to me that while changing the battery, the charging system failed. Not another random component. Could a repair shop realistically repair the charging circuit or would it just be a main board replacement?

HP Recommended

There actually is a specific direction in which the battery plugs into the header on the system board for polarity.

Yes, that could have and probably did damage the system board. The battery has a lot of power, certainly enough to damage components, connectors and traces on the system board.

Some, but not all shops are willing  or have technicians competant enough to repair a notebook system board.

Get a quote for repair and make your decision from there.

A system board replacement could possibly be more than half the current value of your notebook. 

At that point, I would take the storage device out and source a replacement.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.