Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Laptop - 15-ed0003ca
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi,

My usb-C port suddently stopped working. I've been using it daily with a usb-C docking station and it suddently just stopped working. I think it happened when I unplugged it to plug my USB-C earphones in. I've tried uninstalling the USB port from device manager and holding start button 30sec while shut down nothing seems to work. Earphones dont work in there either. Help plz

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Nick276 

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

From what I have understood USB - C port is not working on your system. Do not worry, we are here to help you fix it.

May I know if you have made any recent hardware or software changes to your system?

Try the steps recommended below.

1) Open Device Manager. Find Universal Serial Bus controllers option and single click it to expand.

2) Find USB Root Hub option under this category. Right click it and choose Properties.

3) Go to Power Management tab and uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option. Then click OK to save your change.

If you have more USB Root Hub, you need to repeat this operation a couple of times. Please remember to press OK after every perform.

After the settings, plug your USB device back in to see if your computer is able to recognize it now. 

If the issue still persists try the steps recommended below.

1) Open Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options.

2) Click Choose what the power button does.

3) Click Change settings that are currently unavailable at the top.

4) At the bottom, uncheck Turn on fast startup option and then press Save changes button.

5) Restart your computer and plug in the USB device to see if it works.

If your USB device still doesn’t work after this change, please change the setting back and follow the next method.

I would suggest you Run the UEFI hardware diagnostic on the USB ports. Turn off tap ESC as you power up then F2 then component tests and pick USB. You will need to insert a USB device in each port as it tests the hardware. 

Along with that, please follow the steps shared in the link here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327635 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping. 

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks @Nirvana_95,

unfortunately i've tried all theses steps and still nothing comes on when I plug it in the USB-C port. It looks like the port is dead as I cant even get a flash drive's light to turn on when plugged.

ONe thing I can't complete from your steps is the UEFI hardware diagnostic. When I run it, there is a red notice saying that diagnostic on USB-C is not yet supported. I've refreshed the UEFI program on the HP site but still can't run diagnostic on USB-C.

any other Idea? How can I know if this is a hardware issue?

HP Recommended

I have sent you a private message with further instructions to get this issue sorted. In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP community profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Thanks!

NIRVANA_95
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.