I am trying to use my USB-C port to connect to a second monitor.
My laptop ran out of battery. After charging and rebooting, the USB-C port started having issues.
Anything I plug into the port will not work. It is unclear if I had this issue before as I have used the USB-C port only once before and it didn’t seem to have any problems.
I have tried the following two procedures given in other support threads on similar issues. Neither have worked for me.
1) Open Device Manager. Find Universal Serial Bus controllers option and single click it to expand.
2) Find USB Root Hub option under this category. Right click it and choose Properties.
3) Go to Power Management tab and uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option. Then click OK to save your change.
1) Open Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options.
2) Click Choose what the power button does.
3) Click Change settings that are currently unavailable at the top.
4) At the bottom, uncheck Turn on fast startup option and then press Save changes button.
5) Restart your computer and plug in the USB device to see if it works.
If your USB device still doesn’t work after this change, please change the setting back and follow the next method.
The only procedure that worked is:
1) Turn off the laptop
2) Disconnect all cables
3) Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds
4) Connect the charger and turn on the laptop normally
However, this is just a temporary solution. The USB-C port will work for around 5 to 20 minutes before the display cannot find a signal. I have to restart my laptop every time it happens to use the additional monitor.
Note: I have tested the monitor and USB-C to DP cable with another laptop and it works perfectly.
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".