Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I tried Upgrading the drivers, unistalling the drivers. 

I also tried software update and nothing seems to work

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

HI,

Is "USB device not recognized" an error message you are seeing in the device manager?

It would help if you identified your HP product with its product name or product number.

If I know which notebook you have the I will also know which USB types your notebook has.

Does this happen when you plug a specific device into specific ports?  By that I mean USB 2.0/USB 3.1/USB 3.2

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hello Erico, 

Thank you for your response.

HP Spectre x360 - 13-ae052nr

Serial Number : [Personal Information Removed]

Product Number: 2LV00UAR#ABA

I get that notification as a pop up but also notice it in the device manager as an unknown device with a warning sign. 
I get this error when I plug in any USB device except the hard disk(weirdly). And I only have one 3.0 USB root.

In device manager: 

-Universal Serial Bus controllers

- Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)

- (WARNING SIGN) Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

- USB Composite Device

- USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)

HP Recommended

Hi.

So you say that this happens when you plug any USB device, including a USB flashdrive, into the USB ports?

That is unusual.

Have you considered using the Diagnostics UEFI Utility that is delivered with your notebook?

From a powered off state, press the start button and then immediately tap the F2 key to invoke the diagnostics.

You can use the components and the system tests to verify that the ports are working.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hello I ran the diagnostixs and did the USB test and got a Failure woth an ID of 9TRKKG-9MKA8C-MFPW3F-8D4D03

IMG_20200924_213018.jpg

Is this an known solution to such error?  

HP Recommended

Was it the USB test or the system test?

That  particular failure error corresponds to a USB failure. That would be a system board issue. That was a rapid failure for a recent notebook.

usb error.png

HP Recommended

Hello, 

These are reaults of the USB test.

Anything you require I do? Chasng ethe USB PORT 

HP Recommended

Changing the USB port isn't a viable option. The USB ports are part of the notebook's system board. Replacing the system board is the only option.

I checked on your warranty and was sorry to see that it expired on December 24, 2019.

Did you purchase an extra warranty that would  perhaps cover the system board replacement?

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help and support.

I unfortunately did not purshare any extra warranty. So I should buy the USB-C to USB adapter to use my USB 😞

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.