Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 15t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I fear I may have zapped my USB power.   Everything was working fine until I plugged in my Android phone while it was on the wireless charger.  Now none of the USB ports nor the bluetooth work.  Any idea whether this could be the problem and how to check if it is?  The computer is working fine so far as I can determine except for the USB ports.  If this is the problem, how do I fix it?  If it's not, what things should I check?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@RickA,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Have you tried checking with different USB devices?

Let's start off by updating the BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

Please try the steps recommended below.

1. Open Device Manager.
2. Expand category “Universal Serial Bus controllers”.
3. Double-click the “USB Root Hub” device, and click the Power Management tab. (if there’s more than one USB Root Hub device, repeat these steps for each one.)
4. Turn off the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option, and click  OK button.

Disconnect all USB devices connected to the computer except a USB mouse and keyboard (if in use). This includes hubs, thumb drives, printers, and cameras.
In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
The Device Manager window opens.
Double-click Universal Serial Bus Controllers to expand the list.
Right-click the first USB Root Hub in the list, then select Uninstall.
Click OK to confirm.
Continue uninstalling all USB Root Hubs listed.
Close Device Manager and restart the computer.
If the USB device that is having problems came with software and it was not previously installed, install the software now, following the manufacturer instructions.
Reconnect the USB device that was having problems and test it to see if it works.

Open Device Manager (Right Click on Windows Logo and Click Device Manager).
Now find and expand Universal Serial Bus controllers. Now right click on USB drivers and click Uninstall. Do for all USB drivers one by one.
Now Restart your PC. The USB drivers are automatically re-install and solve the corrupted USB devices.
Right-click on the battery icon and click Power Options.
Click Change plan settings.
Now click Change advanced power settings.
Find and expand USB settings.
Expand USB selective suspend settings and Disable both On battery and Plugged in settings.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot USB connection issues with your PC.

Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@RickA,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Have you tried checking with different USB devices?

Let's start off by updating the BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

Please try the steps recommended below.

1. Open Device Manager.
2. Expand category “Universal Serial Bus controllers”.
3. Double-click the “USB Root Hub” device, and click the Power Management tab. (if there’s more than one USB Root Hub device, repeat these steps for each one.)
4. Turn off the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option, and click  OK button.

Disconnect all USB devices connected to the computer except a USB mouse and keyboard (if in use). This includes hubs, thumb drives, printers, and cameras.
In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
The Device Manager window opens.
Double-click Universal Serial Bus Controllers to expand the list.
Right-click the first USB Root Hub in the list, then select Uninstall.
Click OK to confirm.
Continue uninstalling all USB Root Hubs listed.
Close Device Manager and restart the computer.
If the USB device that is having problems came with software and it was not previously installed, install the software now, following the manufacturer instructions.
Reconnect the USB device that was having problems and test it to see if it works.

Open Device Manager (Right Click on Windows Logo and Click Device Manager).
Now find and expand Universal Serial Bus controllers. Now right click on USB drivers and click Uninstall. Do for all USB drivers one by one.
Now Restart your PC. The USB drivers are automatically re-install and solve the corrupted USB devices.
Right-click on the battery icon and click Power Options.
Click Change plan settings.
Now click Change advanced power settings.
Find and expand USB settings.
Expand USB selective suspend settings and Disable both On battery and Plugged in settings.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot USB connection issues with your PC.

Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Step #4 fixed the problem.  Apparently Windows-10 decided to turn off the power to my USB.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@RickA2,

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out.

Do visit our HP Forums and drop us a message anytime you need help.

Thank you 😀

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.