Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Laptop 17-cg0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just taken delivery of a brand new HP Envy 17" laptop. It has one usb port on the left and two usb ports on the right. When I plug my external hard drive or mouse into the port on the left, no problem. When I try to use the ports on the right with the same devices nothing happens so these two ports are obviously not working. I have unticked the power save box on device manager for the ports as suggested in one of the articles but this did not help. I can't seem to call HP for support so don't know what to do, quite frustrating for a brand new product. Any help appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Simcot,

As this is a hardware issue, I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer.

Follow the instructions below to reach them:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device. 

4) Select the country from the drop-down. 

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 

6)Fill the web-form and proceed further.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice. I contacted them and they agreed that it was a hardware fault. I had to send the laptop to the repair facility in Manchester. They promised an 8 day turnaround but it is now going on for two weeks and I cannot get any answers out of them other than we will get back to you which never happens. So sorry that I bought an HP product but did not expect this from a supposedly premium brand.

HP Recommended

@Simcot

Thank you for posting back. 

Apologize for inconvenience caused,

As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.  I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/​​​​​​​

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

If you get an answer that works please post back here. I bought mine in July and it has the exact same issue. I've tried everything I could find in HP support forums, put in a ticket to HP support in Aug. (as yet still unanswered) and have tried Microsoft recommendations. Nothing works.  MIcrosoft disabled the power plan options (anything other than balanced does not exist and cannot be added in via registry or powercfg changes (Microsoft recommend). I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and even that didn't fix the issue. My guess is that this may have to do with not being able to get to the USB Selective Suspend setting to uncheck it. Changing registry settings recommended by Microsoft also did not work. Sending my only laptop out for a hardware repair is not an option during a pandemic. Also, all software/hardware diagnostics report that the UBS 3 ports are working fine and have the latest drivers. Uninstalling the drivers in device manager also did not work. Doing a system reset did not work. I tried it all and started over from scratch. Laptop is under warranty for 3 years. Other than USB 3 issues it works flawlessly.

HP Recommended

Did you get your laptop back and was it in fact a hardware issue? If not can you post what the issue was and how it was fixed. Mine is up to date on BIOS, OS, drivers, software, etc. Thank you.

HP Recommended

I managed to contact HP support by phone and they tried various resets over the phone. When this all failed they realised that it was a hardware issue. They arranged to collect my laptop and it was sent to their repair centre to be fixed. I assume they replaced hardware components and I received it back about 10 days later and all works as it should. I do not know what components were changed as I did not get any info on this and my only complaint with the process other than the inconvenience was the lack of feedback and having to call every day to find out when I was getting my laptop back.

I was given the choice of returning the laptop for a replacement but preferred  the repair and return option as I had already installed new software which I would have lost if I had the laptop exchanged, hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. Sending my laptop out in a pandemic is not an option. I'll contact HP to see if I can get a replacement. Unfortunate that HP didn't let you know what the exact issue was and how it was fixed. If it's something a technologist layperson (I work in IT) can do themselves with proper directions that would be good to know. I have read posts from others that have the exact same USB 3 issue with their Envy laptops so it's not an unusual issue.  I ran the EUFI diagnostics and everything passed including the motherboard except for the USB 3 ports.

Glad you got it back working before the recent coronavirus surge!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.