Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook x360 1040 G6 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I own an EliteBook x360 1040 G6 and have been experiencing issues with the USB ports.

Initially, they worked fine—I even installed Windows using a pendrive and charged the laptop via USB Type-C ports ( it has two) without any problems. I always used the same port to charge, however, after switching the charger to the other port just to try it, I encountered issues. Sometimes the laptop doesn't charge when plugged in, and when it does charge only one port works. But if I keep the computer charger in the port it is working and then I connect a cable with type c entries in both ends, for example to connect a mobile phone, the phone charges. So electricity flows through both ports.

Additionally, neither USB port recognizes any device I plug in. I've tried various solutions found online without success. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

I suggest installing the Intel chipset driver from the Driver & Software download web document.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/swdetails/hp-elitebook-x360-1040-g6-notebook-pc/26938567/swItem...

Also install the Intel Serial IO driver from the same web document

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/swdetails/hp-elitebook-x360-1040-g6-notebook-pc/26938567/swItem...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer! i cant access the links you sent me, the page says: 
We're sorry

We can't seem to find the page you were looking for.

Try going back to Support Home or use our Diagnostic Solutions to resolve your product issues.

---

Nevermind, I managed to access it. I'll try to install the software and let you know the results. Thank you so much for your answer!

HP Recommended

You're welcome!

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, it didn't work. The USB ports aren't recognizing the pen drive or mouse. Do you have any other possible solutions? Also, is there a test I can run to get a hint of what the problem might be?

HP Recommended

Have you tried other USB devices?

HP Recommended

Yes, I tried with a different pen drive and the cable of my mobile phone, but it doesn't recognize anything. I also tested all the devices on another computer, and they work perfectly there.

HP Recommended

Check in the Device Manager to see if the Universal Serial Bus Controller drivers are present and enabled.

It is down near the botom of the list.

HP Recommended

Yes, apparently they are all installed and with the latest drivers. I tried updating drivers and uninstalling drivers, but unfortunately, it didn't work.

HP Recommended

You might have to consider biting the bullet and performing a fresh Windows 10 installation.

The issue could be the result of a recent Windows update.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.