Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre X360 15"
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since 2 days I get a USB power surge error on my laptop, just half a year old, there is nothing in any usb port, the error just comes when I power on my laptop, and it keeps coming every few seconds, it just pops up with a loud ding sound, goes away, and 2 seconds later comes up again, and this keeps on going. I have now changed the notification to show errors, then I see the notification area continuously blinking, but at least it does not show a popup all the time and there is no more sounds.

Any idea how to solve this?? I have seen another topic about the same issue, but that was with something connected or only happened after hibernate or something, that is not the same in my case.

The only thing I sometimes connect is a USB to ethernet adapter, but only temporary.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ArjanN

Try a hard reset -

1) Shutdown the computer. 
2) Unplug all the Adapter and peripherals connected. 
3) Press and hold down the power button for 15 to 20 seconds. 
4) Plug-in the Adapter. 
5) Try to turn on the computer. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@ArjanN, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Also, check for any pending windows update. Once done, reboot the PC.

If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

• Go to Device manager, Click on the arrow next to "Universal Serial Bus controllers" that expands the tree. You will see a list of currently installed USB controllers and hubs, and a yellow exclamation point will indicate any problematic devices.
  • Right-click on the first device listed under the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" heading, and click on "Uninstall" to uninstall the drivers for that device. Repeat this step with every device listed under the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" heading to uninstall all USB controllers and ports.
  • Restart your computer, and allow Windows to automatically reinstall all USB devices you previously uninstalled. By uninstalling and reinstalling these devices, you effectively restore the USB ports' usability.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I already have all latest updates, except for Intel Bluetooth driver, this doesn’t install since I bought the laptop, I tried uninstalling it, tried installing directly from Intel website etc, but it always shows this driver in the update list.

In the list under Universal Serial Bus Controllers there are 3 devices, 2x Intel USB 3.1 extensible Host Controller, and a USB Root Hub.

If I uninstall and reinstall the error just comes right back, the only way to avoid the error is to disable the first Intel Hub 3.1 extensible host controller. If I enable it again, the error pops right up again.

HP Recommended

Hi @ArjanN

Do you get this error only when the Ethernet adapter is connected? If the error occurs with a specific device, then it is possible that the device is requiring more voltage. Try using the same device in another computer.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No, I have nothing connected, and it is not even the USB-A port, because this is still working, so it seems to be the USB-C port

HP Recommended

@ArjanN

Run the Hardware Troubleshooter

1. Type "Troubleshoot" in the search bar and press "Enter".

2. In the "Troubleshoot" window, click on "Hardware and Devices" on the menu on the right pane.

3. Click on "Run the troubleshooter" and choose to run the tool as an Administrator.

4. Click "Next" and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Also, perform an extensive test -

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
4. Click Extensive Test.

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

In the troubleshoot windows there is no hardware and devices option, there is 2 main selections, ‘Get up and running’, and ‘find and fix other problems’ which respectively have following options:

Internet connections/playing audio/printer/windows update, and Bluetooth/incoming connections/keyboard/network adapter/power/program compatibility troubleshooter/recording audio/search and indexing/shared folders/speech/video playback/windows store apps.

I did the extensive system test and everything passed, I also did a component test and tested all 3 USB ports, and they also passed (I connected a USB drive directly to the USB A port, and via a OTG cable to the USB C ports)

HP Recommended

@ArjanN

Try a hard reset -

1) Shutdown the computer. 
2) Unplug all the Adapter and peripherals connected. 
3) Press and hold down the power button for 15 to 20 seconds. 
4) Plug-in the Adapter. 
5) Try to turn on the computer. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

it looks like that did it, I can now re-enable it again and do not get the error anymore, I've also tried connecting a USB drive to the USB-C ports and that worked fine. Hope it keeps that way, thanks for helping

HP Recommended

@ArjanN

Glad to know that the issue is now resolved. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.