Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-ay503tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. I have Hp-15AY503Tx. I upgraded it with 240GB SSD and installed its main 1TB Toshiba HDD in place of optical drive with HDD Caddy. Installed fresh windows 10 OS ON SSD.  Everything is working fine and no issue in copying data to and from HDD. The HDD is capable of working at SATA 6GBps but as I checked it with crystal disk info, it works at SATA 3GBps. 

Also when I checked the HDD with HD Tunes, it shows ULTRADMA CRC Errors. This error increases with 2 to 5 numbers each time the laptop is started/restarted. I checked hard drive for bad sectors but there are no bad sectors. Also, all other SMART attributes are good and do not show any problem.

Can someone help me to sort out this issue?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I for one won't use a hdd once it starts to throw errors. Run Toshiba's or Seagates generic long test on it if it flags anything, it almost always gets worse down the road.

Volunteering here is my therapy
17-cp0097er
HP Envy 27-b014
HP Recommended

Thanks Pbroussard for your reply 

I can't find Toshiba HDD diagnostic tool but started Seagate Long Generic test. Will take 4 hours to complete. Will let you know the result.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Seagate Long Generic Test completed and it indicates PASSED without any error. So I think drive is ok. Is it possible that the sata controller of the optical bay where the drive is connected is unable to communicate with the drive during startup of the laptop? Because the CRC error only occurs during startup of the laptop. Once it is fully booted, no CRC error occurs no matter how much bigger files are transferred.

HP Recommended

It certainly seems like it's a bios issue consistently communicating with the storage drive. What does the bios show as available drives? If nothing odd is there all I can suggest is doing a hard reset to the bios- https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768 

Volunteering here is my therapy
17-cp0097er
HP Envy 27-b014
HP Recommended

Thanks For Reply pbroussard. I checked in bios and there is no such option for displaying the drives. Only the option is like boot device priority in which options are notebook hard drive, cd dvd rom drive, network boot, etc.

I also tried the steps given in link by you on hp site but problem is not solved. Its sure that the bios detects the HDD as when I installed the OS, at that time the HDD was avalilable.

HP Recommended

Hey Guys, Some HP expert, help me please. Otherwise I think it will kill my drive. No bad sectors and nothing else. All parameters are accurate. Drive is working correctly in another laptop when connected with USB Adapter. I can't let my drive be killed like this way..

Thanks Friends.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.