cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
  • ×
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

    Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

    Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

  • post a message
  • ×
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

    Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

    Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

  • post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
10 3 0 0
Message 1 of 3
84
Flag Post

Ungrounded ac adapter (SPARKING on switching)

HP Recommended
HP zbook studio G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm using my laptop adapter (150watt) but connecting the ground wire to nothing , in Egypt there is no ground system for homes, so our electricity is only +220volt and neutral wire,is it safe to use the adapter like that?

when i put my adapter in the socket, i see a spark, and when removing it i see another spark so is it still safe?

otherwise its working fine but am worried.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 4
Level 4
126 126 10 10
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In principle, it is recommended to use a power supply environment with a ground wire.
There may be some abnormalities in a power supply environment without a ground wire, such as numbness when touching the metal shell, and abnormal response of the touchpad and touchscreen.
Only the 220V power supply of live wire and neutral wire, in most cases, the laptop can be used.

.

.

For more information, please refer to
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04925079
13 Electrostatic Discharge
Electrostatic discharge is the release of static electricity when two objects come into contact—for example,
the shock you receive when you walk across the carpet and touch a metal door knob.
A discharge of static electricity from fingers or other electrostatic conductors may damage electronic components.
To prevent damage to the computer, damage to a drive, or loss of information, observe these precautions:
● If removal or installation instructions direct you to unplug the computer, first be sure that it is properly grounded.
● Keep components in their electrostatic-safe containers until you are ready to install them.
● Avoid touching pins, leads, and circuitry. Handle electronic components as little as possible.
● Use nonmagnetic tools.
● Before handling components, discharge static electricity by touching an unpainted metal surface.
● If you remove a component, place it in an electrostatic-safe container.
.
.
For spark problems, you can replace a better quality power strip with a switch, first plug in the power plug, then turn on the switch; turn off the switch first, and then unplug the power plug.

-------------------------------
My English Is not good, sorry
-------------------------------
548851818
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
10 3 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm a senior electrical engineer, i will be graduated next year, i made a switch already in the path of the input of the charger, but I'm seeing the the spark inside the switch while turning it on and off but its still safe to use?

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation