Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G1 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear all,

I had bought my new laptop two day ago and it's HP Elitebook 840G1. I know it's old and "lack" of fashion but I just only have enough to buy it. I love the device because of light, beautiful and the price is reasonable. 

I checked it and found out the BIOS date is 2014 so I intended to update the BIOS. First, throught the BIOS screen, I update it and the system told me that the latest version is 1.39, but when I check on the web, the one is 1.40. I don't mind and update follow the screen. After runing quite good, the update is end. The problem happened next.

After finish the update proccess. I cannot boot to my Windows 10. I felt sad. I also check on the web, there're so many people face this problem. I tried to remove the battery, charge adater, and plug them in, open the BIOS, set all the info to default and I can access my Windows. I Acctually panic. I spent for nearly 400+ USD for the lap so I scare a lots.

The scare is continuing when the system keeps lagging after that, in about 1 or 2 hour after updating the BIOS. I still cannot reach to my Windows, the screen is black and the cursor is in circle state. So I remove the battery, ... just like I did before and I can access my Windows. I decided to update the BIOS once again with the latest version from the web, so I download it to the USB and run the flash tool in Windows 10. The proccess happend smoothly and it told me that I need to go the BIOS to finish.

In the BIOS screen, at this moment, I see something in red told me that the proccess will continue after update and told me do not turn off the computer or interrupt it... And the update proccess finished and just like before, I cannot reach to my Windows, I need to remove the battery, charge adapter, restore default in BIOS... and now, I can post this post in my Windows 10.

So, there is a problem: Exactly, what is the "right" proccess to update BIOS of the HP Laptop, in my case is HP Elitebook 840G1? I'm doing the update proccess and I know the risk, but I cannot see any things like the guide, or warning, or something like that to make people easy to update the system to make sure the device work smoothy and safely.

Thank you.

Hoc Nguyen from Vietnam.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi

I assume this the page you visit?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-EliteBook-840-G1-Notebook-PC/5405360

This package creates files that contain an image of the System BIOS (ROM) for the supported notebook models with an L71 family ROM. This package is used to flash the System ROM on a supported notebook

NOTE: To determine the ROM family and ROM date, press F10 on the notebook during startup to run the Setup Utility, and then view File/System Information.

1. Download the file by clicking the Download or Obtain Software button and saving the file to a folder on your hard drive (make a note of the folder where the downloaded file is saved).

2. Double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

Which is what you have probably done, so here is a possible fix...

HARD RESET.    Unplug from the wall.

If you see a battery compartment door, your computer has a removable battery. Remove the battery.

This is valid for most notebooks;

Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds to complete the reset.

Re-insert any battery you removed.

BIOS recovery for most Laptops, as a LAST resort…

WinKey + B + PWR for 1 second, OR WinKey + V + PWR for 1 second.

~~~~~~~~~~

Is W10 installed using GPT and Secure boot?

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

Thank you, CF4!

Your help is great! I had tried "in some way" like that. Let me summary to steps, in case others search & find out this post.

1. Download the file by clicking the Download or Obtain Software button and saving the file to a folder on your hard drive (make a note of the folder where the downloaded file is saved).

2. Double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions. 

3. After finish, the screen will be bright but nothing shows. Now, Unplug the Laptop from the wall, If you see a battery compartment door, your computer has a removable battery. Remove the battery. This call "HARD RESET" & This is valid for most notebooks.

4. Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds to complete the reset.

5. Re-insert any battery you removed.

6. BIOS recovery for most Laptops, as a LAST resort…: WinKey + B + PWR for 1 second, OR WinKey + V + PWR for 1 second.

I still don't understand: 

1. What do I do if we have a laptop with no-removable battery?

2. I see there is no way to restore the previous BIOS firmware version, so, step 6 that you're mention above will really help?

3. Why do HP not show the step like above to make user clear how to update BIOS safely & successfully?

Again, I appreciate your help, It does make me feel safe! Thank you.

HP Recommended

Prego.

HP Recommended

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.