Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion Power Laptop 15-cb0xx 1DU07AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Support Assistant keeps showing an optional update available for "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver".  The update fails to install with no information about why. I have tried to install the update six times. The update is:

SoftPaq number sp88070  Version 16.0.2.1086 

The details on the update talks about improving Serial ATA (SATA) disk performance with Native  Command Queuing, however  this laptop has SSD drive, so I don't know if this update is necessary. Do I need it? If so, why does the install fail? If not, how can I get HP Support Assistant to quit showing it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I have been having numerous problems with the laptop since this occurred. I took the laptop to a computer repair shop and they were able to fix all of the problems I was having. One of the key things they found was an issue with Intel firmware. They also were able to get a BIOS update on that HPSA wasn't showing. Everything now seems to work correctly.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@taherte2 , welcome to the forum.

When I had this happen, I uninstalled HP Support Assistant and reinstalled the latest version here.  Before doing this I deleted the updates from HPSA.

Here is an explanation of Intel Rapid Storage Technology: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

It will definitely be useful with your SSD.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@taherte2 

Save yourself further anguish.

Open the HP Support Assistant,

Open the list of Updates 

Select the offending Update (Check Box)

Tap the Trash Bin

HPSA will no longer plague you about this installation.

Open the Software and Drivers Website page for your computer

Expand the list of potential drivers

Boxes_Plus.JPG

Peruse the list.

Note that this driver, even if it were intended for your particular computer, is (at this writing) dated 2017.  Meh.

Open the See full details page

Click open Category Associated files

Click Download

Description file opens in its own 1/2 size window.

Scroll down and read the details, including any Device information.

If the information you seek is missing,

Open and Read this more inclusive description file:

sp88070.cva

Note that you always have the option of installing your Updates  manually - many (many) people in the world choose to install Updates when / how / if they choose to do so.  

If you wish to install / manage your HP Updates for semi-automatic or fully manual installations,

Open HP Support Assistant > Settings >

Click box to have HPSA check for updates but NOT install any updates.

Save your settings.

Restart the computer and log in.

This way you can use the list of Updates to compare what the HPSA says to what you find (and decide) on your own.

Example:

HPSA_Settings_3AHPSA_Settings_3A

Reminder:

Do install BIOS updates using the HP Support Assistant.  At this writing, at least, updating the BIOS using HPSA can be problematic.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I clicked on the Trash can to delete the update, uninsalled HPSA, and installed the latest version. After doing that the update no longer showed up so I clicked on the Action log and tried again to install. Still fails.

HP Recommended

@taherte2 

Can only suggest that you consider installing manually from your software and drivers website support.

HPSA is a nice software - it does not always work for every situation.

Checking in the software and drivers support page gives you the chance to see if the update is even current and / or relevant to your system.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I rely on Windows Update and HPSA to keep my sysem up to date so I'm not sure how to manually update drivers. What I did was:

1. Went to HP.com

2. Selected Support

3. Selected Software and Drivers

4. Selected Laptop

5. Copied and pasted the serial number and product number from HPSA as prompted

I got the message "We were unable to retrieve the list of drivers for your product. Please select the desired operating system and select “Update” to try again". I tried to do that but nothing I did was able to retrieve the list of drivers.

Was this the right process to update drivers or is there another method I should have used? If this was the right process,how do I get around this problem?

HP Recommended

@taherte2 wrote:

I rely on Windows Update and HPSA to keep my sysem up to date so I'm not sure how to manually update drivers. What I did was:

1. Went to HP.com

2. Selected Support

3. Selected Software and Drivers

4. Selected Laptop

5. Copied and pasted the serial number and product number from HPSA as prompted

I got the message "We were unable to retrieve the list of drivers for your product. Please select the desired operating system and select “Update” to try again". I tried to do that but nothing I did was able to retrieve the list of drivers.

Was this the right process to update drivers or is there another method I should have used? If this was the right process,how do I get around this problem?

If you rely on HP for up to date drivers you better rethink, they are mostly old... My graphics driver was 8 months old I think, I installed the 1 week old the day before yesterday.

Installing the latest drivers manually isn't possible due to HP's restrictions but can be done easily through the device manager.

No need for thumbs up or other farcical deeds.
HP Recommended

@taherte2 

Unfortunately, I cannot force the HPSA software to work when it won't.

Original question - Partial Excerpt:

The details on the update talks about improving Serial ATA (SATA) disk performance with Native  Command Queuing, however  this laptop has SSD drive, so I don't know if this update is necessary. Do I need it? If so, why does the install fail? If not, how can I get HP Support Assistant to quit showing it.

If the HPSA is repeatedly offering the same update and that update will not install, it is likely an error (you don't really need the update) or something else is wrong and the HP Support Assistant cannot understand or fix the problem.  Setting the HPSA to ignore (trash) the update will remove it from the list.

One more important bit of information: 

The HP Support Assistant is not intended to seek out drivers and software that is not already installed on the computer.  HPSA is an "update" manager.  If the software is not intended for your machine, if there is an error due to the configuration / database on which the HP Support Assistant depends, if there is a different unknown error and the HPSA is confused due to lack of a way to manage what it sees, then the HPSA will fail, misbehave, or otherwise not work as expected.  This is a difference between a written program and AI - an AI can learn on the go and provide possible new answers - programs can only work with the data they already know.

In general, installing manually software is not difficult.

If you open the driver page and click on the download, you will be provided with "how-to" instructions.

and / or

From your computer's How-to > Software and Apps

Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers

Read the document, including the section named Find Driver updates on the HP Website

If you wish to do so, check your Device Manager to compare what you have in the system with what the HPSA is telling you that you need.  The Device Manager is more likely to be "right".

Two of the many, many articles on the Internet on the subject of the Device Manager:

7 Ways to Access Device Manager in Windows 10

What Is Device Manager?

If I think of anything else to add, I will post back.

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

Drivers / Software and BIOS, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

HP Pavilion Power 15-cb000 Laptop PC

Your Software and Drivers here:

Open the Software and Drivers Website page for your computer

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Same Issue, says not supported on this os version, I am running windows insider... real pain that I cannot get the latest drivers because my version is too new...  1903.18936.1000

If I can "risk" my computer with the latest os, how come I cannot get the stupid driver?

Protecting HP over a driver is BS since if I have issues, HP will try to force me to the older version of mainstream win 10...

Anyone know how to override the os version check in these "support packages"....

Greg

HP Recommended
I have been having numerous problems with the laptop since this occurred. I took the laptop to a computer repair shop and they were able to fix all of the problems I was having. One of the key things they found was an issue with Intel firmware. They also were able to get a BIOS update on that HPSA wasn't showing. Everything now seems to work correctly.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.