Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 450 G4 Notebook PC
Linux

Hi,

Can I upgrate HP ProBook G4 450 with Kingston KVR21S15S8/8 (https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR21S15S8_8.pdf) or Kingston HyperX Impact 8 GB DDR4 SODIMM 2400 (https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/HX424S14IB_8.pdf)?

The problem is that as per notebook's specs it supports PC4-17000, 2133-MHz, DDR4 SODIMMs, but installed (I guess from factory) is PC4-19200, 2400-MHz, DDR4 (Samsung) .

Will there be any issues with different freqencies (KVR21), timings (CL) (both chips), ranks (HyperX)?

Regards,

Yerzhan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Are you adding to the existing chip or replacing it entirely? Since it has DDR4-2400 in it you know it works so if you are adding memory I would add another DDR4-2400. 

If you are entirely replacing memory I would use DDR4-2133 since that is what the Manual says it is supposed to have and it will not run any faster than 2133 speed, anyway even if you install 2400. 

You do not need HyperX or any other gaming or performance memory but it will work just clock itself to run just like the OEM modules. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Are you adding to the existing chip or replacing it entirely? Since it has DDR4-2400 in it you know it works so if you are adding memory I would add another DDR4-2400. 

If you are entirely replacing memory I would use DDR4-2133 since that is what the Manual says it is supposed to have and it will not run any faster than 2133 speed, anyway even if you install 2400. 

You do not need HyperX or any other gaming or performance memory but it will work just clock itself to run just like the OEM modules. 

HP Recommended
Thanks for the reply.
I'm adding to the existing one.
May there be any issues with HyperX, as it's double ranked whereas installed one is single ranked, and Hyper X's CL is 14, but currently installed one's CL is 17?
HP Recommended

That is kind of why I said avoid the HyperX...but I have seen no compatibility issues with DR vs. SR memory in DDR4 (unlike DDR3 where it was a big issue). I have an HP laptop with one module of each happily running in dual channel mode. 

Still, the only 100% guaranty I can give you is to get the memory specified by HP. My opinion, however, (and it is just that) is that the HyperX would work fine. 

HP Recommended
That is in your laptop in one slot is DR module and in the other slot is SR module and they are running in dual channel mode?
Could you please write down what are those memory modules?
HP Recommended

Its a Zbook 15 G3 and it came with 8 gigs OEM memory and I added an 8 gig of Patriot memory I bought at Frys. 

The laptop was donated to a charity and I can't access it but it did have an original OEM moodule like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-HP-2133MHz-Memory-820570-002/dp/B073FSS5G4

and then a Patriot module which was single rank. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.