Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ZBook G3 17 X9T88UT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Community -

I have an HP ZBook G3 17" workstation, Product ID is X9T88UT#ABA.  It currently has the FHD 1920x1080 17" screen in it.

In the interest of haste, I will spare everyone the long sad story.  The short version is that  I need to upgrade this workstation to the UHD 3840x2160 Dreamcolor Display.

I've Googled.  I've EBayed.  I've Youtubed.  I've Partssurfed.  I am at a loss.   I am willing to pay what it takes to have the work done professionally, but I have no idea how to proceed.

My questions:

Can this even be done?

If so, will HP do it?

If so, how to set that up?

If not, how best to proceed?

I am sick at the thought of having to essentially recycle what is otherwise a fantastic machine, and buy a brand new one.... is there no other way?

I apologize for my confusion, and thank you all in advance for any pointers!

Glen

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Glen711

HP only suppies the following parts for Zbook 17" G3

• 17.3 in, UHD, UWVA, Dream Color 3 display assembly not equipped with a webcam part # 848393-001
  • 17.3 in, UHD, UWVA, Dream Color 3 display assembly equipped with a webcam part # 848394-001

I think HP only sells new machines with 4K screen at this stage. HP may wait and release parts later.

http://www8.hp.com/au/en/products/workstations/product-detail.html?oid=8693765#!tab=specs

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for that pointer.  So, armed with that part number (848394-001), I do see that the part is listed at parts.hp.com....  currently $1300, and on backorder.

So the only question remaining is:  If I could get the part, could I do a swap?

Unverifiable evidence on the Internet suggests that the FHD display has a 30-pin connector, whereas the UHD display has a 40-pin connector.  However, that might be the connector within the assembly.  If I'm just replacing the entire top half of the laptop (which seems easier), does anyone know if those connectors are the same?

Can the new Dreamcolor top "just be plugged in" to the laptop main base?  Or are, for example, the motherboards different somehow as well?

Thank you for any tips or pointers!

Glen

HP Recommended

Any update to your question as to whether the FHD panel was successfully replaced with the UHD?

HP Recommended

I'm sorry, yes, there is an update, I should have returned here to post.   For some reason I had to create a new nickname, something is wrong with HP's system, but anyway, to your point:

I did place the order for the backordered part, which was an expensive gamble, but which paid off.  What I received was the entire upper half of the ZBook:  The UHD display, already inside the frame, with the webcam, and everything else.  I was able to easily and safely remove the old FHD display - in its frame and case - from the laptop base, and replace it with the UHD display.  All the connectors fit.  There were two "missing" antenna connectors - that is to say, my FHD display had four antenna wires whereas the UHD only had two, but it was obvious where to connect them, and the laptop has not suffered any problems from the missing wires. 

No other parts were required (I was worried about the "Dreamcolor calibration board" but it was already in my laptop base) and everything just worked.  When I rebooted, Windows detected the new display, adjusted for it, and I've been in Dreamcolorland ever since!

As a closing point, let me just say, "Wow!" this display is worth it.  My eyes don't hurt, the resolution is beyond retina, and the screen is an absolute joy to work with.

Well done HP!  I'll never order a NON-Dreamcolor-UHD display unit ever again!  🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.