Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6-6150us
Microsoft Windows 10 IOT

Hello All,

Currently I have an HP Pavilion Dv6-6150us. According to Speccy, here's what's inside:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 2410M @ 2.30GHz 43 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Hewlett-Packard 1658 (CPU1)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 3000 (HP)
Storage
223GB SATA SSD (SATA (SSD)) 33 °C
Optical Drives
hp DVD-RAM UJ8B1
Alcohol V-SATA CD/DVD
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

I am looking to upgrade the CPU on this device. I am currently running F.1B Rev. A as my latest BIOS update. I cannot locate a supported CPU list for this motherboard as well as any information on this motherboard in general. I understand that it is a Sandy Bridge CPU and was just planning on upgrading to the Intel Core i7-2620M since it is also a Sandy Bridge, same wattage, same socket, etc and should fire right up.

However, I would be more interested in upgrading to an Ivy Bridge CPU instead. Primarily, I would be ok with purchasing a i5-3320M CPU instead of the 2620. The 3320m uses the same wattage, same socket (rPGA988B), etc. It is much cheaper that the 2620 and also runs the Intel 4000 graphics instead of the 3000 which I know is not a major upgrade but when working on a small budget without going out to buy a new laptop, I want to make this cost effective and workable for what I have, while also taking the chance to disassemble the hardware to work on my skill sets.

Is this a possibility or am I just talking nonsense? If it is not possible for the 3320m, what would some better options that I would have? I'm open to all ideas and recommendations. Thanks for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Robin465 

Please use a list on page 2 of a manual called HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PCMaintenance and Service Guide on the following link

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-dv6-6100-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/5082212/m...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Robin465 

Please use a list on page 2 of a manual called HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PCMaintenance and Service Guide on the following link

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-dv6-6100-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/5082212/m...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Banhien,

Thank you for directing me to the list! Looking at it, the "best" one on their seems to be 2820QM. My concern is the TDP being 45w instead of 35w. Since other variations of the dv6 obviously support this CPU, should I see any issue with making this particular upgrade? I'm not concerned about decreased battery life since 99% of my time on the laptop is plugged in. Also is there any changes to the BIOS that would need to be done or would it automatically detect the compatible hardware?

Thanks for the help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.