Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 16 inch Laptop PC 16-h0000 (67T93AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi,

I've been searching and not finding any clear information about the secondary m.2 ssd slot in my laptop.

I found some indication here https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-16-inch-laptop-pc-16-h0000/2101086015/model/2101251631/...

...that the secondary slot would accept a 0.5 or 1 TB NVME 2280 m.2 ssd but there is no mention if that would be a hard limit or if you can actually put a larger hard drive in this slot.

The primary slot today has a 2TB hard drive and I would love to put a 4TB drive in the secondary slot for a total 6TB disk space.

Is there anyone who has tried and been successful putting a 4TB hard drive in one of these laptops?

Best regards,

//Gundalf

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Gundalf 

The link shows  pre-built options for the series. You can use 2TB signle sided standard PCIe 4.0  on BOTH slots. Actually you can use larger capacity but due to physical size of single sided 2280 M.2 drives which are available on market today.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your reply @Banhien 🙂

I was worried there would be some kind of cap in the BIOS not allowing more than 1TB to be reported as system available disk space from the secondary m.2 slot.

This is the 4TB m.2 ssd I was considering for the secondary slot https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-black-sn850x-nvme-ssd#WDS400T2X0E 

It would however be lovely and a great reassurance to hear from someone who has tried a similar setup and been successful.

Best regards,

//Gundalf

HP Recommended

I can just reply to my own thread and inform that I finally bought and installed a "Kingston Fury Renegade M.2 2TB SSD M.2 2280 / 2 TB / PCI Express 4.0 x4 / 7300 MBps" in the second slot. All is working well and I now have 4TB installed in the laptop. 🙂
It would have been nice with a 4TB as I'm running some very large sound banks for music production but I went the "safe route" with the 2TB and I'm also planning to expand the available disk space with a micro SD card of 1TB in the machine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.