Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Probook 455 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I am writing this question as a continuation of a previous post now closed I asked;-

Solved: Upgrade RAM, BIOS settings - HP Support Community - 7382798

In the above post I asked about my laptop detecting RAM I had added but saying it was hardware reserved. I was advised at the time the RAM I had added was not the correct voltage.

This week I purchased 2 new RAM modules, 2X Crucial 4GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM CT51264BF160BJ. These RAMs are supposed to be an exact match for this laptop but still only 3.4gb is usable, with 4.6 hardware reserved. I have tried switching the slots, each ram individually in slot 1 and even mix and matching each RAM with the original HP module. I ran the UEFI memory check each time and they always passed, and each RAM worked by itself in Windows but with 2 together I always get 4.6gb hardware reserved. Does anyone have any suggestions how I could make it work?

Many thanks

Alex

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer, would be to see if this is the issue...

Run the 'msconfig' app, go to the 'boot' tab, click 'advanced options', and untick 'maximum memory' if it is checked.

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for responding.

Nothing is ticked in msconfig.exe, could there be another setting elsewhere?

Alex

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Alex.

Sorry that setting wasn't checked.

Unfortunately, I don't understand what the problem could be.

Most of the memory should be available for use.  At least 6.5 to 7 GB.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.