Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion g7 1255dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Like to upgrade my laptop:  HP Pavilion g7 1255dx with 4MB RAM and intel (R) core i3-2330M CPU  2.20Ghz.  It has 2 slots for the RAM cards, can I just purchace another 4MB card from Crucial or other vendor?  What is a recommended processor upgrade? Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

The supported Intel processors can be found in chapter 1.

c03538328.pdf (hp.com)

Looks like the best processor you can upgrade to would be the Intel® CoreTM i7-2640M 2.80 GHz .

You can just add a compatible 4 GB Crucial chip to the existing one to max out the memory.

Crucial 4GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM | CT51264BF160B | Crucial.com

I would install a 2.5"  SSD ILO upgrading the processor unless you have done that already.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

The supported Intel processors can be found in chapter 1.

c03538328.pdf (hp.com)

Looks like the best processor you can upgrade to would be the Intel® CoreTM i7-2640M 2.80 GHz .

You can just add a compatible 4 GB Crucial chip to the existing one to max out the memory.

Crucial 4GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM | CT51264BF160B | Crucial.com

I would install a 2.5"  SSD ILO upgrading the processor unless you have done that already.

HP Recommended

Thanks a million Paul.  Nice direct answer, will be upgrading shortly and will report back to the forum on results!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

With a little more research decided to upgrade to a SSD before messing around with the processor.  Installed more ram and just recieved a Samsung 870 EVO which was easy enough to install but at start up I get "no bootable device -insert boot disk and press any key".  Tried holding down the esc key on start up with new SSD installed and get no joy.  Pressed esc key on start up with old drive installed and the computer just beeps at me!  No install disk came with the new drive and looking around I might have to get into bios to make this change but am having no luck with this Win 10 OS. My ignorance is showing.  Any guidance would be great.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi:

So when you installed the SSD, and had your W10 installation media in the DVD drive or USB port, and you pressed the ESC key to get the F9 boot options menu, the PC could not boot from the W10 installation media and find the SSD?

What makes no sense to me is when you reinstalled the hard drive, the PC doesn't work.

There should be no changes that you need to make in the BIOS to install a SSD.

HP Recommended

Stby Paul,

Didn't have the CD in the machine (no instruction to do so with SSD lit.).  Let me hunt it down.  Thanks for getting back so soon.  I'll be in touch.

Tim

HP Recommended

Hi, Tim:

If you can't find it, use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to make a bootable USB installation flash drive.

You will need to have access to another Windows PC and an 8 GB USB flash drive to make the installation media.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

HP Recommended

Hey Paul,

Didn't read your last before I educated myself a little.  Downloaded the Macrium clone tool and bought a patch cord from Amazon.  This worked smoothly and the new SSD is inside the laptop as I write this.  The computer is working faster with these upgrades.    Might try the processor upgrade at a later date.  Thanks again for your interest and help!  Take care.

Regards,

Tim

HP Recommended

Anytime, Tim.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Enjoy the faster performance.

Regards,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.