Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
pavilion 15-cc006nk
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, I want to upgrade my Laptop storage. I changed my hard drive to a 500GB Crucial CT500MX5 00SSD1 SCSI Disk Device (SSD).

I want to add a Samsung 970 EVO 1TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V7E1T0BW) 
alongside my Crucial SSD and in the manual of my laptop : 

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05493762

It's written in the storage section in the Dual configuration part:

2-TB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-/7.2-mm hard drive + 128-GB, 2280 M.2 SATA-3, TLC solid-state drive
● 1-TB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-/7.2-mm hard drive + 256-GB, 2280 M.2 SATA-3, TLC solid-state drive
● 1-TB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-/7.2-mm hard drive + 256-GB, PCIe solid-state drive
● 1-TB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-/7.2-mm hard drive + 128-GB, 2280 M.2 SATA-3, TLC solid-state drive

Does this part mean that this is all the possible dual configurations?

And how can I tell if Samsung 970 EVO 2280 is compatible with my Laptop?

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You need to actually look a bit closer at the Manual:

Solid-state drive:
For use only on computer models with model numbers 15-cc1xx and 15-cc6xx:
● 512-GB, 2280, Peripheral Component Interconnect Express (PCIe), Non-Volatile Memory Express (NVMe)
solid-state drive
● 256-GB, 2280, PCIe, NVMe solid-state drive
For use on all computer models:
● 512-GB, 2280 M.2 SATA-3 solid-state drive with triple-level cell (TLC)
● 256-GB, 2280 M.2 SATA-3 solid-state drive with TLC
● 128-GB, 2280 M.2 SATA-3 solid-state drive with TLC
● 256-GB, 2280 M.2 SATA-3 solid-state drive
● 128-GB, 2280 M.2 SATA-3 solid-state drive

What this tells us is that only the -cc1xx and -cc6xx models can support a PCIe/NVME M.2. Other models such as your -cc006nk can only support SATA M.2 SSDs such as the Samsung Evo 860 model. The list of dual configurations is not exclusive but you can only use a supported type of M.2 SSD as the second disk. In your case you can install any capacity SATA 2280 M.2 your budget permits. Unfortunately, a SATA M.2 operates at just about the same speed as the 2.5 inch SATA SSD you have already installed. So it would have been cheaper to just get a larger capacity say a 2 TB 2.5 inch when you bought the 500 gig but you could now install a 1 or 2 TB SATA M.2 for added storage capacity. I would just leave Windows on the 500 gig Crucial since there is no performance gain available by moving it to the M.2 SATA. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

You need to actually look a bit closer at the Manual:

Solid-state drive:
For use only on computer models with model numbers 15-cc1xx and 15-cc6xx:
● 512-GB, 2280, Peripheral Component Interconnect Express (PCIe), Non-Volatile Memory Express (NVMe)
solid-state drive
● 256-GB, 2280, PCIe, NVMe solid-state drive
For use on all computer models:
● 512-GB, 2280 M.2 SATA-3 solid-state drive with triple-level cell (TLC)
● 256-GB, 2280 M.2 SATA-3 solid-state drive with TLC
● 128-GB, 2280 M.2 SATA-3 solid-state drive with TLC
● 256-GB, 2280 M.2 SATA-3 solid-state drive
● 128-GB, 2280 M.2 SATA-3 solid-state drive

What this tells us is that only the -cc1xx and -cc6xx models can support a PCIe/NVME M.2. Other models such as your -cc006nk can only support SATA M.2 SSDs such as the Samsung Evo 860 model. The list of dual configurations is not exclusive but you can only use a supported type of M.2 SSD as the second disk. In your case you can install any capacity SATA 2280 M.2 your budget permits. Unfortunately, a SATA M.2 operates at just about the same speed as the 2.5 inch SATA SSD you have already installed. So it would have been cheaper to just get a larger capacity say a 2 TB 2.5 inch when you bought the 500 gig but you could now install a 1 or 2 TB SATA M.2 for added storage capacity. I would just leave Windows on the 500 gig Crucial since there is no performance gain available by moving it to the M.2 SATA. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 
HP Recommended

Hello Huffer, 

I really appreciate your reply, Actually, the 500 GB is enough for me since I already have external HDDs so I am not short on storage but I was more interested in extra speed if possible.

You really answered everything I wanted to know Thank you very much.

HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavilion cs0010ca. I have seen a slot on my Motherboard for a NVMe Card. Can I install one, which one, and use it as my boot drive?

HP Recommended

Please start you own thread, but generally yes the M.2 slot on that model series is compatible with PCIe/NVME M.2 SSD 2280 form factor such as Samsung 970 Evo or Evo Plus. 

HP Recommended

Thanks, did not notice the date was older. You reply is much appreciated and helpful.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.