Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Dear Community,

I currently have the HP Zbook 15 G3 Mobile Workstation with intel i7-6820HQ processor. I need to upgrade the memory (RAM) to the Kingston Fury Impact SODIMM with the 3200MHz spped. I know that my system support max speed is at 2133 MHz. I need the 3200 MHz for future notebook upgrades in order to be compatible because each time I upgrade the notebook I buy new memory kits. I need to upgrade to the Fury Impact memory with the details below:

Memory speed: 3200 MHz SODIMM

Memory size: 32GB (2x16)

Memory density: 16Gbit

Memory part number: KF432S20IBK2/32

Memory Full Specs and data sheet link Fury Impact SODIMM 3200MHz 32G 

Would this memory be compatible with my system? I recieve a response from Kingston that they told me this memory with the part number above is incompatible with my current system because it uses 16Gbit density. But it might be supported on some systems that have the latest bios version available. If this is incompatible, would the Fury Impact SODIMM 16GB (2x8G) 2666MHz  memory supported instead? Also, is there a compatibility issue between 8Gbit density memory vs the 16Gbit ones? Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I looked at the specs and found a different problem and that is the faster than the standard DDR4-3200 memory CL speed of 22.

The Kingston memory is CL20 and that timing is too fast for your notebook's BIOS to handle because it cannot adjust to the faster CL speed and you can't make any changes in the BIOS.

Make sure you buy a DDR4-3200 memory chip with a CL of 22.

Crucial 16GB DDR4-3200 SODIMM | CT16G4SFRA32A | Crucial.com

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

I looked at the specs and found a different problem and that is the faster than the standard DDR4-3200 memory CL speed of 22.

The Kingston memory is CL20 and that timing is too fast for your notebook's BIOS to handle because it cannot adjust to the faster CL speed and you can't make any changes in the BIOS.

Make sure you buy a DDR4-3200 memory chip with a CL of 22.

Crucial 16GB DDR4-3200 SODIMM | CT16G4SFRA32A | Crucial.com

HP Recommended

Thanks dear sir. Your answer solve my puzzle. I understand from your respected answer that any 3200 MHz memory with a CL of 22 JEDEC standard will be compatible wether its density 8Gbit or 16Gbit. I think the memory density is something that does not matter much, I am I right?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I am not an expert on what differences the memory density plays.

I know that on older HP business notebook and desktop PC's, say from 9 or more years ago, the memory had to be low density.

The link to the Crucial memory chip I posted should work fine in your notebook, but I don't know if it is low density or not.

HP Recommended

Dear sir thank you for your great help and assistance. I appreciate your responses. If you don't mind, from your own perspective, would you recommend me which one of these memory kits I should buy. I need them for productivity software such as Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, some light games and so on. Keep in mind that max memory of these 3200MHz memory stics (kits) will be lowered to 2133MHz to be compatible with my system. Very special thanks in advance.

1-  G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Laptop Memory Model F4-3200C22D-32GRS. Newegg URL.

2- Team Elite 32GB (2 x 16GB) 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Laptop Memory Model TED432G3200C22DC-S01. Newegg URL.

3- Crucial 32GB (2 x 16GB) 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Laptop Memory Model CT2K16G4SFRA32A.

Newegg URL.

4- CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (2 x 16GB) 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Laptop Memory Model CMSX32GX4M2A3200C22. Newegg URL.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I would go with #3 Crucial as my first choice, then the G.Skill, then the Corsair and then the Team Elite only because I never heard of Team Elite memory before.

The Crucial memory seems to have the lowest price too.

Crucial memory is the retail division of Micron, and HP uses Micron memory chips along with Samsung, and Hynix memory in many of their notebooks.

The other thing to make sure of is that the memory comes with a limited lifetime warranty.

The Crucial memory does, that I know.

HP Recommended

Sir, one more question if you don't mind. My notebook has four SODIMM Sllots. And the max supported memory is 64GB. After I take a look at the official maintenance and service guide manual for my system, I found the picture below which related to memory.

Zbook 15 G3 Mobile Workstation Memory ModuleZbook 15 G3 Mobile Workstation Memory Module

Does the picture above mean that each of the four slots supports 16GB memory as a max? In other words, If I insert a memory of 32GB into one of the four slots, would it work without issues? I sometimes think of getting (2 x 32GB) to be 64GB max installed into only 2 slots of 4. What are your recommendations? Thank you in advance.

HP Recommended

Hi:

If your notebook has 4 memory slots, according to chapter 1, you can install 4 x 16 GB of memory in each slot.

2 X 32 GB will not work.

Please see chapter 1 of the service manual for the supported memory configurations.

HP ZBook 15 G3 Mobile Workstation Maintenance and Service Guide

HP Recommended

Thank you dir sir. I really appreciate your experience and all are helpful. Did you know that I have read the maintenance guide more than eight times and never looked to chapter 1 where everything is clear! 😂😂

Once again, thank you very much. Now, I have decided to buy the crucial 32GB (2x16GB) with 3200MHz of 22 CAS (CL). Part Number: CT2K16G4SFRA32A

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.