Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 m6 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I am currently using HP ENVY x360 m6 Convertible product W2K44UA#ABA. I want to upgrade to SSD but I am little confused about which SSD I should get ATA, SATA, SATA III I keep seeing all these types so I don't know which one my laptop uses. 

Current Harddrive is HGST HTS721010A9E630.

Any Ideas on which hard drive need?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I am just telling you technology has come a long way in the last 10 years and you do not have to use a 2.5 inch disk, but if that is what you want  the ones on the market now are SATA-III so that is what you would buy. Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E500B-AM/dp/B00OBRE5UE/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8...

Put one of these in the laptop where the 2.5 inch mechanical hard drive is now. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

In general there are two choices: a 2.5 inch SATA SSD which is the same size and shape as the hard drive and can be installed any place a hard drive is installed in a laptop; or, an M.2 mSSD "gumstick" shaped hard drive:

Two types, fit in same slot.  You can use either type.Two types, fit in same slot. You can use either type.

To further complicate  these gumstick drives come in different varieties and your laptop can only take the kind on the left. 

Also you should understand this work is a bit technical....lots of screws to remove to access the drive ports and then fairly complicated software reinstall so buckle your seat belt if you want to proceed and have not done much of this kind of work. 

Service Manual is here:

Manual

The good thing is you can add one of the gumstick drives without removing the existing hard drive. Post back and let us know what you want to do and where you are located (country).  

HP Recommended

I have done this kind of upgrades before on previous laptops old HP Pavillions dv6000. I was able to get the type of hard drive that I needed easily. But I haven't been able to on this one I know it's a 2.5. All I need to know is whether it is SATA or SATA III compatible. 

Model Number m6-aq105dx 

HP Recommended

I am just telling you technology has come a long way in the last 10 years and you do not have to use a 2.5 inch disk, but if that is what you want  the ones on the market now are SATA-III so that is what you would buy. Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E500B-AM/dp/B00OBRE5UE/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8...

Put one of these in the laptop where the 2.5 inch mechanical hard drive is now. 

HP Recommended
Thanks for the help i was actually looking at the samsung ssd.
HP Recommended

I see in manual:
Support for: 256-MB, M2.2280, solid-state drive supporting triple-level cell (TLC)

or

128-MB, M2.2280, SATA-3, solidstate drive.

But now I can buy 1TB SSD like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0784SY515/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0784SY515&pd_rd_w=ZgEQE&pf_...

Can I use it without removing the HDD?
Thanks.

My model is: m6-aq105dx (from USA)

HP Recommended

Hello, So I ended up doing the following to my laptop. I purchased Samsung - 860 PRO 512GB Internal SATA Solid State Drive for Laptops replaced my HD I used the Migration software that Samsung provides to clones the hard drives which made it super easy. 

Then I noticed that the motherboard had a PCI Express socket for m.2 SSD. So then added another 500gb by purchasing a Samsung - 970 EVO 500GB Internal PCI Express 3.0 x4 (NVMe) Solid State Drive for Laptops with V-NAND Technology then I switched over the OS to run off that SSD, because it runs little faster, don't know why but it works great. The Laptop only has one moving part since I removed the regular Hard drive and that's the Cooling fan. Besides that, the laptop runs amazingly smooth and fast. 

When making the upgrades I suggest looking for the Maintenance manual online. It will provide you with detail instructions and procedures including a list of replacement parts. I believe it is very valuable. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.