Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issue? Click here for tips and tricks.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello everyone, I need information regarding which SSD I can buy to upgrade my laptop. It currently has only 512 GB and I would like to upgrade to 2 TB. Will this SSD from Samsung be compatible for my laptop (HP HP Spectre x360 Convertible model# 13-ae052nr)? 

Samsung 990 EVO SSD 2TB, PCIe Gen 4x4, Gen 5x2 M.2 2280 NVMe Internal Solid State Drive.

Thank you!!
Djuneth

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Chapter 1 of the service manual indicates the model series will support 2 TB NVMe SSD's.

HP Spectre x360 13 Convertible PC Maintenance and Service GuideIMPORTANT! This document is intended ...

However, since your notebook's NVMe SSD slot is only PCIe Gen 3.0, the Gen 4.0 SSD will not run at its maximum advertised read/write speeds.

This table shows the maximum transfer speeds each PCIe slot generation can provide:

PCIe Speeds and Limitations | Crucial.com

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Chapter 1 of the service manual indicates the model series will support 2 TB NVMe SSD's.

HP Spectre x360 13 Convertible PC Maintenance and Service GuideIMPORTANT! This document is intended ...

However, since your notebook's NVMe SSD slot is only PCIe Gen 3.0, the Gen 4.0 SSD will not run at its maximum advertised read/write speeds.

This table shows the maximum transfer speeds each PCIe slot generation can provide:

PCIe Speeds and Limitations | Crucial.com

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your information. Will it be better to just upgrade with the ssd that is made for PCIe Gen 3.0 slot? Is it available in 2 TB? 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Here's my two cents worth...

The 990 Pro is an excellent drive and while it may not run at its maximum advertised read/write speeds, you can install it in a newer model notebook or desktop PC that has a Gen 4.0 NVMe slot in the future.

If you are not concerned about the long term, then you may want to consider this good performing 2 TB PCIe Gen 3.0 NVMe SSD:

Crucial P3 2TB PCIe M.2 2280 SSD | CT2000P3SSD8 | Crucial.com

Amazon.com: SAMSUNG 990 PRO SSD NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4, M.2 2280 Internal Solid State Hard Drive, Seq. R...

You are looking at a $63 USD price differential between the 990 Pro and the P3.

So, you can weigh the pros and cons of buying the 990 vs the P3.

If the $63 greater price for the 990 Pro is not a problem, I would go with that one for the prospect of using it in a newer PC in the future.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your fast response! I am thinking about upgrading the ram to 16 GB, too. Any recommendation which one to buy? Thank you.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

Unfortunately, the memory cannot be upgraded because it is an integral part of the motherboard. 

HP Recommended

Well, that's too bad. Anyway, thank you very much for your help and have a nice evening!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance. 

You have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.