Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Notebook 15 AF174NR
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
My mom recently bought a Notebook 15 and says it's extremely slow at everything it does. She's thinking about returning it for this reason. She likes everything else about it so I told her we might be able to upgrade the RAM and she's willing to keep it if we can resolve this issue.

Before I go and buy RAM sticks I want to be certain that this laptop can be upgraded and I need to know how much RAM it's capable of running and the particular RAM it takes.

Product number:
P1A92UA#ABA

Thanks guys.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The PC supports max 8GB of DDR3L-1600Mhz RAM.

There are two slots, so you can add a stick of 4GB to the one already in the system. On page 1 of service manual you can see various configurations and on page 44 the steps to upgrade RAM:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04653881

If you intend to return the PC, I would not perform the upgrade as you need to open the computer to get to the RAM. 

If the system is slow you could check and see if Windows is completely updated and is not constantly using resources for this purpose. Go into settings "security and updates" and click on verify for updates. Let the system completely update.

Also take a look in task manager and see if any application or service is using a lot of resources. Also go to the tab startup in task manager and see all the apps which start up together with Windows. Disable any which are not needed (you can open the program yourself when needed).

Let me know if you need further help,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

The PC supports max 8GB of DDR3L-1600Mhz RAM.

There are two slots, so you can add a stick of 4GB to the one already in the system. On page 1 of service manual you can see various configurations and on page 44 the steps to upgrade RAM:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04653881

If you intend to return the PC, I would not perform the upgrade as you need to open the computer to get to the RAM. 

If the system is slow you could check and see if Windows is completely updated and is not constantly using resources for this purpose. Go into settings "security and updates" and click on verify for updates. Let the system completely update.

Also take a look in task manager and see if any application or service is using a lot of resources. Also go to the tab startup in task manager and see all the apps which start up together with Windows. Disable any which are not needed (you can open the program yourself when needed).

Let me know if you need further help,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended
Awesome, thank you so much for the informative reply. Doubling the RAM should make her happy.
HP Recommended

Your welcome. 

Let me know if you need further help. 

All the best, 

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.