Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp 15-r0007tx
Linux

I have HP 15-r0007tx with intel processor. Guide for my laptop says that if I have intel processor I will have dual channel memory (if it was AMD it's only single channel).

Questions :

1. How can I confirm that I have one empty channel in system board (I'm using Linux).

2. Can I use any 4GB DDR3L (1600 MHz) ram with existing 4GB RAM (1600 MHz)? Or do I need the exact same model of RAM as existing one?

3. Will it be any performance difference if using different RAM in Dual Channel?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Not sure what Linux you are using but Kubuntu has a system information app that is better than anything Windows offers. You can just open up the memory tab and it will tell you how many slots and what kind of module is in each. 

Found a 15-r007nx but not exactly the model you indicated. 

Either way this is your Service Manual:

Manual

Yes you have 2 slots for memory modules.

See p. 76. Sorry to report on your model memory access means removing the motherboard. Not the easiest thing. 

This is the specified 4 gb module:

4-GB (PC3L, 12800, 1600-MHz) 691740-005

https://www.amazon.com/HP-691740-001-1600MHz-PC3L-12800-memory/dp/B00CI08FX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

This is low voltage (1.35 v) memory and you should not be running 1.5 v RAM. If you mix the 2, you will certainly not have dual channel memory. 

Dual channel opration makes memory access maybe 8% faster. It makes a little difference in overall performance, but is most noticeable if you have integrated video as you will see most of that 8% increase in video performance as video is very memory dependent. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Not sure what Linux you are using but Kubuntu has a system information app that is better than anything Windows offers. You can just open up the memory tab and it will tell you how many slots and what kind of module is in each. 

Found a 15-r007nx but not exactly the model you indicated. 

Either way this is your Service Manual:

Manual

Yes you have 2 slots for memory modules.

See p. 76. Sorry to report on your model memory access means removing the motherboard. Not the easiest thing. 

This is the specified 4 gb module:

4-GB (PC3L, 12800, 1600-MHz) 691740-005

https://www.amazon.com/HP-691740-001-1600MHz-PC3L-12800-memory/dp/B00CI08FX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

This is low voltage (1.35 v) memory and you should not be running 1.5 v RAM. If you mix the 2, you will certainly not have dual channel memory. 

Dual channel opration makes memory access maybe 8% faster. It makes a little difference in overall performance, but is most noticeable if you have integrated video as you will see most of that 8% increase in video performance as video is very memory dependent. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.