Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab101ax
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently brought a Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600MHz ram stick and put it into my laptop to upgrade my laptop to 16GB. After installing the new ram with the existing ram stick from Samsung, the frequency speed has dropped by half to 1333MHz. I have noticed a dramatic decrease in gaming performance that before worked fine.

Task Manager detects that 16GB of ram is installed, and CPU-Z says that I'm still using single channel.

Both the original Samsung ram stick and the new Crucial ram stick are basically identical in terms of specs according to CPU-Z

Task ManagerTask Manager

CPU-Z Memory TabCPU-Z Memory Tab

CPU-Z Crucial RamCPU-Z Crucial Ram

CPU-Z Samsung RamCPU-Z Samsung Ram

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It depends on which processor is installed.

If your notebook has an Carrizo-L AMD APU installed it only has single channel memory module support.

Unfortunately that appears to be the case, so your notebook's APU/chipset is not dual channel memory mode capable.

I used the product number for your notebook to determine that the AMD Quad-Core A-Series Accelerated Processor (Carrizo-L, BGA)A8-7410 (2.2 GHz, up to 2.5GHz), 1600MHz/2MB L2 is what is installed in your notebook. The HP Maintenence & service guide for your notebook has some incorrect information.

I wish that I had better news for you.

DDR3L-1600 Single Channel Support (Carrizo-L)

DDR3L-1600 Dual Channel Support (Carrizo)

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

When upgrading memory it is always best to put identical memory in pairs in the slots. Remove the original module and put a pair of guaranteed compatible memory in the slots.

The reason for that is exactly what you are experiencing.

The memory isn't running in dual channel mode and modules will default to the bandwidth (sped) of the slowest module. The modules have to be identical in all respects, including the primary and secondary timings. Your modules appear to have the same JEDEC timings and voltage requirement, but there is something in the config that does not allow them to work together

The memory module voltage requirements must be also identical.

Here is a link to compatible memory modules from Crucial

https://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/pavilion-15-ab101ax

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hello Erico

Firstly thanks for the reply, I have now bought another crucial ram stick from PB Tech and have it currently installed in my machine.

The two ram sticks are now fully identical, I have seen a bit of performance increase compared to when the samsung ram was still installed.

My laptop is still running in single channel mode reported by CPU-Z and Task Manager still reports a speed frequency of 1333MHz.

Is the HP Pavilion 15 ab101ax dual channel mode compatible?

Kind Regards

Connor Dobson

HP Recommended

It depends on which processor is installed.

If your notebook has an Carrizo-L AMD APU installed it only has single channel memory module support.

Unfortunately that appears to be the case, so your notebook's APU/chipset is not dual channel memory mode capable.

I used the product number for your notebook to determine that the AMD Quad-Core A-Series Accelerated Processor (Carrizo-L, BGA)A8-7410 (2.2 GHz, up to 2.5GHz), 1600MHz/2MB L2 is what is installed in your notebook. The HP Maintenence & service guide for your notebook has some incorrect information.

I wish that I had better news for you.

DDR3L-1600 Single Channel Support (Carrizo-L)

DDR3L-1600 Dual Channel Support (Carrizo)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.