Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 14 inch 2-in-1 Laptop PC 14-eu0000 (7K634AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Spectre 2024.

Bought a Samsung 990 Pro 4TB, without heatsink. I plan on installing it/replacing my current drive with it.

I understand that Windows must be reinstalled when installing a new drive/upgrading my drive.

1. Does that mean I will lose the software that originally comes with the laptop. Like, HP Support Assistant and other things?

2. Will the device retain functionality to all features when reinstalling Windows?

* Especially the Camera & Mic switch buttons?

* And Stylus input?

3. Is there anything I should do to have everything working well as if I opened the laptop from the factory? (After installing the new drive)

If there are any necessary or helpful instructions or tips to ensure things run well, please tell me. Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Jawadd wrote:

Spectre 2024.

Bought a Samsung 990 Pro 4TB, without heatsink. I plan on installing it/replacing my current drive with it.

I understand that Windows must be reinstalled when installing a new drive/upgrading my drive.

1. Does that mean I will lose the software that originally comes with the laptop. Like, HP Support Assistant and other things? No, See my explanation below

2. Will the device retain functionality to all features when reinstalling Windows? No, See my explanation below

* Especially the Camera & Mic switch buttons?

* And Stylus input?No, See my explanation below

3. Is there anything I should do to have everything working well as if I opened the laptop from the factory? (After installing the new drive)  Yes. Clone the current Windows OS installation to the new SSD.

Once the cloning is completed and the new M.2 is swapped into the slot where the original one was you can restart the PC.

You won't lose any data, installed software or functionality.

Everything should work exactly as before, only with the benefit of the newly added storage space.

If there are any necessary or helpful instructions or tips to ensure things run well, please tell me. Thank you.

You will need a USB to M.2 SSD adapter or enclosure to use while cloning the original OS installation to the new SSD .

Amazon source for the adapter

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=m.2+ssd+usb+adapter&crid=727750JCZRJW&sprefix=usb+to+ssd+adapter%2Caps%2C...

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi, @Jawadd 

You may want the link to the service manual:

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Spectre x360 14 inch 2-in-1 Laptop PC Model numbers: 14-eu0xxx

Note that the SSD is covered by a thermal enclosure which you will have to remove and replace, so it is good that you didn't buy the drive with a heat sink, or it would not have fit.

See chapter 5, pages 49 & 50.

HP Recommended

Thanks @Erico

I was not aware that USB adapters for M.2s were out in the market. I thought that cloning wasn't possible since the Spectre doesn't have another M.2 slot. I think I'll go ahead with cloning.

I haven't done this in a while, so I was hoping that there was a new method, something natively provided by HP to help with the process of upgrading an SSD and ensuring HP software + the laptop's features would work. But I guess old is gold, can't beat something that works.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much @Paul_Tikkanen. I really can't thank you enough.

I actually bought my new SSD based on your advice that I found on another post, where you answered someone with the same enquiry as situation as I'm in.

You even recommended SSDs that are cheaper than the 990 Pro, but I went with the latter anyway, because I had to guarantee the best speed, for a few reasons. Immensely helpful you are.

I also checked out the manual when you posted it before. Again, I'm quite grateful for your help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

HP Recommended

Cloning provides the same setup and installed drivers and programs that were present in the original OS installation.

HP's Cloud Recovery is an installation of the originally installed operating system as a clean slate.

That means no apps, programs, documents, photos or videos.

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.