Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
14-dh0022tu
  • I am looking to upgrade both the ram and storage on this laptop (Hp pavilion x360 14-dh0022tu) . It currently only has 4gb of ram (2400) and a sata m.2 128gb drive. I went to a few websites such as crucial which said they had specific upgrades which would definitely work. The ram they said could be upgraded up to 16gb (2*8gb) but the cpu N5000 allegedly only supports 8gb (while other people say they have been able to run 16gb on it). Also im not sure about the ram slots, if indeed it only supports 8gb should i get another 4gb stick to slot in dual channel or an 8gb one to replace.
  • Additionally crucial says ram of speeds of 3200mt/s is supported while the cpu allegedly can only support 2400. I have tried to find information on this laptop but it is very scarce.
  • Regarding the m.2 sata what would the max storage be? is m.2 nvme  pcie compatible (what slots are available on the computer), if not what are some cheap m.2 sata ssd's i could slot in. Are other storage upgrade paths available?
    Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@BananaMan007 wrote:
  • I am looking to upgrade both the ram and storage on this laptop (Hp pavilion x360 14-dh0022tu) . It currently only has 4gb of ram (2400) and a sata m.2 128gb drive. I went to a few websites such as crucial which said they had specific upgrades which would definitely work. The ram they said could be upgraded up to 16gb (2*8gb) but the cpu N5000 allegedly only supports 8gb (while other people say they have been able to run 16gb on it). Also im not sure about the ram slots, if indeed it only supports 8gb should i get another 4gb stick to slot in dual channel or an 8gb one to replace.
  • The processor and chipset only support 8GB DDR4/LPDDR4 upto 2400 MT/s
  • Additionally crucial says ram of speeds of 3200mt/s is supported while the cpu allegedly can only support 2400. I have tried to find information on this laptop but it is very scarce. If you install 3200 Mhz memory it will downclock to 2400 Mhz
  • Regarding the m.2 sata what would the max storage be? is m.2 nvme  pcie compatible (what slots are available on the computer), if not what are some cheap m.2 sata ssd's i could slot in. Are other storage upgrade paths available?
    Thank you
  • PCIe NVMe  M.2 2280 maximum of 2TB is supported

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@BananaMan007 wrote:
  • The processor and chipset only support 8GB DDR4/LPDDR4 upto 2400 MT/s
  • Additionally crucial says ram of speeds of 3200mt/s is supported while the cpu allegedly can only support 2400. I have tried to find information on this laptop but it is very scarce. If you install 3200 Mhz memory it will downclock to 2400 Mhz
    Thank you
  • PCIe NVMe  M.2 2280 maximum of 2TB is supported

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help, one last question. Does the laptop have two slots or just one ram slot? Il open up the laptop today or tomorrow anyway to confirm before I order the parts. Where did you get the information from? Could you please share the source/ manual for future checking. 

Thanks again for the prompt response it has been very helpful.

Kind regards

HP Recommended

There are two soDimm slots for memory modules.

The Maintenance & Service manual for you laptop

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06523509.pdf

HP Recommended

Hello again, I slotted in 8gb ram stick with total 12g ram and that worked so i do think processor can work with upto 16gb ram. the 12gb is working fine. I purchased a 512gb m.2 nvme ssd and cloned the original 128gb one onto it but i tried multiple cloning and booting methods but the new drive never boots into windows (all files are accessible). I think i will resort to just doing fresh install but i am not sure why this is occurring. I searched internet and tried few things but they didnt fix windows not booting. Do you know why this is occuring and if there is a fix. Again many thanks

For other users also interested in upgrading it is possible that the cpu may support upto 16gb ram (as other users have report on internet) i am running it with 12gb ram smoothly very good upgrade from original 4gb and cheap as well, highly recommend upgrading ram.

HP Recommended

What program did you use for cloning the original Windows installation?

Is the new disk a GPT or MBR volume?

HP Recommended

I used a couple of version of AOMEI back upper, first i tried doing full disk all partition backup of original SSD and then restoring to new one without increasing partition size, then i tried with increasing partition to fill space, then i did direct clone by plugging in new SSDthrough a USB nvme adapter. But in all methods the new drive failed to boot. I also made a win 11 USB using media creation tool but when i try to boot off that it says some file is missing or corrupted (tried twice) but win 10 USB boots so if all else fails i might just reinstall win 10 on the new ssd and transfer over manually data but i would prefer for the clone to work.

This is the ssd i purchased Silicon Power P34A60 512GB NVMe PCIe SSD (https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07ZGJYLNL?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details ). Both the original and the new disk are gpt.

HP Recommended

UEFI The bootloader might be broken.  Take a read of the document at the link below.

This document is from a third party website

HP Recommended

Hello again sorry for the late reply. I managed to get it working a day after my last reply by just moving around the SSD's and it booted, it didnt really  make sense as i had tried it before but maybe bootloader was having trouble recognising OS with other ssd's / usb's plugged in. One other problem i experienced after that was that whenever i boot device it asks for me to choose between two OS's a win 10 and a win 11 (which i updated to) win 10 one does not work and comes up with error while win 11 works normal, it is annoying selecting it every time. i have given the device to someone else in the meantime so i am not sure if the problem is still occuring but soluition could also be useful for other hp users attempting a ssd clone. kind regards

HP Recommended

@BananaMan007 wrote:

Hello again, I slotted in 8gb ram stick with total 12g ram and that worked so i do think processor can work with upto 16gb ram. the 12gb is working fine.

Contrary to Intel's own datasheet and specs for the Pentium Silver N5000, it will indeed support up to 16GB DRAM. Depends on the enabling BIOS meminit code (and processor microcode), which some PC makers may not supply!

I confirmed 16GB working and fully addressable/useable (minus the small hardware reserved that exists on most systems) in a Dell Inspiron 15 3852. I acquired this unit specifically to test this, following a user report on Reddit involving a Dell 15 3573 (very similar if not shared design) reporting and using 16GB installed, because I was intrigued enough to find out for myself.  See photos of the system memory reporting in the link above.

Of course none of the PC companies are going to admit it is possible since even Intel's official datasheets specify 8GB MAX system memory (DRAM). But unfortunately, companies have a history of sometimes imposing a "marketing limit", not a functional limit, because they want to position a product in a particular segment, not have it competing with another of their products. Not the first time I've seen it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.