Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp 15-af024AU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have 15af024au laptop. It is expandable upto 8 gb ram. It has 2 ram slots, one preoccupied by 4gb ram. Now i added 8gb on another slot and in system configuration it shows 12gb. will it uses all the 12gb r nly 8gb??

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

It will use all 12 GB but the memory will run in the lower performing single data rate (SDR) mode.

Eventually, you will want to remove the 4 GB chip and replace it with an 8 GB chip so that the memory runs in the higher performing dual data rate (DDR) mode.  Not to mention you will have 16 GB of memory instead of 12.

Watch this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=E_aPaj5QkmM&feature=emb_logo

You may have heard that games and applications perform better with dual channel memory compared to single channel memory, but why is this the case, and how much of an improvement can you expect? In this comparison I've benchmarked 16 different games in a laptop at all setting levels as well as 9 ...
HP Recommended

Will it help if i reduce the memory in system configuration. Will it turn to dual channel??

HP Recommended

That would not make any difference.

It is the physical memory that determines SDR or DDR, not any software adjustments you make to it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.