Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavillion 15-p091sa
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I am looking to upgrade the processor on my HP Pavillion 15-p091sa but I am unsure which processors actually are compatible with my laptop. I have read the guide on the website but I cannot work out which ones I can add. Hoping someone can put some clarity on this situation.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

It is not possible to upgrade the Processor as it is integrated on the motherboard (soldered), You would need to replace the motherboard which would be very expensive.

Starting on page 111 of service manual you can see the various motherboards and part numbers (AMD)

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04402649

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

It is not possible to upgrade the Processor as it is integrated on the motherboard (soldered), You would need to replace the motherboard which would be very expensive.

Starting on page 111 of service manual you can see the various motherboards and part numbers (AMD)

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04402649

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

Your laptop's specs are very similar to my HP Notebook 15-f387wm, as it also has an AMD quad-core processor. I have taken it apart before, and the CPU was soldered into the motherboard, so yours is probably the same. Those aren't able to upgrade, but they do work pretty well, as long as you get good thermal paste, and do a factory reset on the laptop. Doing that will probably prevent the CPU temperature from rising over 65°C, and have the idling temperature at around 30°C.

HP Recommended

I strongly recommend getting an SSD, or Solid State Drive. Those are MUCH faster than a HDD, or Hard Disk Drive. It is likely the reason why everything loads slowly.

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Thank you for this!

Billy

HP Recommended

You're welcome Billy.

Let me know if you need any further help.

All the best,

David

HP Recommended

I do recommend sticking with your laptop's current CPU, as getting a CPU with more GHz will create more heat, which is bad. Although, if it was an Intel CPU with the tray thing, you can easily change it out for a better processor. If you check the specs of a certain processor, you can see the max operating temperature. If it is higher than your current processor, its TDP will likely be higher as well, which probably doesn't matter...

HP Recommended

Hi David,

With the manual any of the motherboards will fit my computer, under the correct section I take it.

Billy

HP Recommended

Yes, the ones under AMD with UMA graphics (integrated) for 15 inch computers.

For the ones with discrete graphics you will need to replace the heatsink as well.

Regards,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.