Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 notebook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi all, I hope you're all staying positive and testing negative. 

I've just bought this as my first laptop (bought a a year or so ago but never got around to setting it up). 

I've been using it for a few weeks now, done all the updates etc (I think). I use it for general sccoting about the internet for my business, (buying and selling car parts) and I often have 1up to 0 tabs open at a time (I'm not being lazy I need this many). and I use it for casual gaming occasionally (minecraft, runescape) nothing too intense. Amogst general use, social media etc.

Anyhow I've disabled all the apps I dont need upon start up etc and kept things as clean as possible but I can't help but think the laptop is already really really slow when I'm just using it for general use, hopping from page to page on the internet, loading my emails, nevermind when I'm on a game, loading them is just a nightmare and everything else has to be closed. 

So the question is shall  upgrade to SSD? If so i dont know what the different between SATA 1, 2 or 3 is and what will fit this laptop dispite spending over an hour researching on the internet? Then if i do find out which one fits, what SSD do I actually get?

Do I get a bigger processor? Currently running the Intel Core i3-5010U, which is BGA1168 socket? So would it benefit me to upgrade this?

I've got 8gb of RAM so this is okay ish? Do I need to do anything with this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, but I'm really stuck on what I can upgrade and what I can't with compatability etc so please bare with me 😅.

Kind regards,

Harvey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Harvey:

The product number of the notebook you posted indicates that you have a HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-p249sa.

It comes with a single 8 GB memory module, so all you need to do is to add a second 8 GB chip.

I recommend this one...

Crucial RAM CT102464BF160B 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL11 Laptop Memory: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessor...

Below is the link to the service manual, where you will find the memory and hard drive removal and replacement procedures.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PCHP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi,, Harvey:

The processor is an integral part of the motherboard, so you won't be able to upgrade that unless you replace the motherboard with one listed in your notebook's service manual that may come with a better processor.

Memory...your notebook supports 2 x 8 GB of DDR3L-1600 memory.

IMHO, 8 GB is barely adequate.  If your notebook came with 1 x 8 GB of memory, it would be cost effective to add a second 8 GB memory chip.

Replacing the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" SSD will help performance significantly. 

Your notebook's drive controller supports SATA 3 drives.

If you can live with 500 GB of drive space, this SSD provides the best performance for the price, IMHO.

Western Digital WDS500G2B0A WD Blue 3D NAND Internal SSD 2.5 Inch SATA, 500 GB: Amazon.co.uk: Comput...

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply Paul, I think 1tb would be better would it not? Just to be safe in the long run?

I should buy another 8gb RAM then, what is involved with this? Can I just plug and play any 8GB RAM?

Thank you,

Harvey

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Harvey:

This would be the 1 TB size of that model WD Blue drive.

WD Blue 3D NAND Internal SSD 2.5 Inch SATA - 1 TB, Blue - High Performance: Amazon.co.uk: Computers ...

What is the full model number or product number of your notebook?

Use this guide to find that information...please do not post the serial number.

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Product Name or Number? | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Thanks so much paul, I've ordered the 1TB versio! Shall I upgrade the RAM whilst I'm at it too? 

If so whats the process behind this I've had a quick look but I'm none the wiser on how to go about it.

Thanks

Harvey

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Harvey.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with the memory until you provide the product number of your notebook that I requested earlier today.

HP Recommended

Hi sorry, missed that my prouct ID is 0258-61754-34480-AAOEM.

Thanks 🙂 

HP Recommended

Hi:

That is the product ID of Windows, not your notebook's product number.

The product number of your notebook will be arranged like this...5ES85EA#ABA.

It will be on the case, in the BIOS's system information window, or if you have the HP support assistant installed that will also have it.

HP Recommended

Sorry Paul, I had to download the Assistant to find it.

L2W62EA#ABU

Thanks for your pateience

Harvey

HP Recommended

Hi, Harvey:

The product number of the notebook you posted indicates that you have a HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-p249sa.

It comes with a single 8 GB memory module, so all you need to do is to add a second 8 GB chip.

I recommend this one...

Crucial RAM CT102464BF160B 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL11 Laptop Memory: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessor...

Below is the link to the service manual, where you will find the memory and hard drive removal and replacement procedures.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PCHP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.