Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP-15-bs0xx / HP-15-bs043nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have this laptop, with a 4GB RAM, Intel Pentium Gold Processor, and a 500 GB HDD. I would like to know what are hardware devices that I can upgrade in this laptop. For an example I like to know whether I can upgrade this Pentium Gold processor to Intel Core i3. Also add another SSD 120 GB while still having 500 GB HDD, and add more RAM like another 4 GB RAM to make it provide more performance.

Thank You...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual 

You have a single memory slot it appears. You can install up to a single 8 gb DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM (the Manual says 4gb is the max but that does not seem right). I would open the laptop first and check to be sure you do not actually have DDR3L-1600. I think not but the Manual is unclear on the Pentium Gold models. 

Processor is soldered to the motherboard so not upgradeable. There is no M.2 slot on your model so if you want an SSD it is going to have to be a 2.5 inch SATA SSD used in place of the mechanical hard drive. Upgrading entry level laptops is rarely cost effective since they will not be strong performers even with max upgrades. You are better off to sell your laptop and apply the money and what you would spend for upgrades to a new laptop. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual 

You have a single memory slot it appears. You can install up to a single 8 gb DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM (the Manual says 4gb is the max but that does not seem right). I would open the laptop first and check to be sure you do not actually have DDR3L-1600. I think not but the Manual is unclear on the Pentium Gold models. 

Processor is soldered to the motherboard so not upgradeable. There is no M.2 slot on your model so if you want an SSD it is going to have to be a 2.5 inch SATA SSD used in place of the mechanical hard drive. Upgrading entry level laptops is rarely cost effective since they will not be strong performers even with max upgrades. You are better off to sell your laptop and apply the money and what you would spend for upgrades to a new laptop. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.